• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Any 20 level Beast Rangers out there?

CTurbo

Explorer
I'm curious how "good" a high level Beast Ranger would be with a Wolf or Panther. It seems like the beast would be pretty tough after the additional hit dice, ASIs, and added Proficiency bonus to AC, attacks, and damage.

Horwath

Legend
While we are on the subject, if beastmaster ranger(UA version) takes Ape as a companion, could he wield weapons?

I'm thinking of relative simple weapons. clubs, mace, morningstar. no problem with edge alignment.

Also armor?

Fanaelialae

Legend
While we are on the subject, if beastmaster ranger(UA version) takes Ape as a companion, could he wield weapons?

I'm thinking of relative simple weapons. clubs, mace, morningstar. no problem with edge alignment.

Also armor?

That's obviously up to the DM. Physically speaking he can wield weapons and wear (custom-made) armor, but he won't be proficient in either.

Horwath

Legend
That's obviously up to the DM. Physically speaking he can wield weapons and wear (custom-made) armor, but he won't be proficient in either.

warhorses wear armor with no problem, so I dont thing it is a stretch to have ape wear hide or similar "simple" armor. Also ape has 6 int that is enough to learn to use tools.

Fanaelialae

Legend
warhorses wear armor with no problem, so I dont thing it is a stretch to have ape wear hide or similar "simple" armor. Also ape has 6 int that is enough to learn to use tools.

A warhorse has been trained for war and wearing armor. The MM specifically calls out the warhorse as the one animal that can wear armor by default.

The DM can, of course, allow the ape to be trained to wear armor (and potentially, even use weapons) but that can't be assumed. The DM is also well within his or her rights to say, no you can't have a war-ape.

A wizard probably has a 16 to 20 Int but he still can't wear armor (by default).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads