D&D 5E Any authors you think should be in Appendix E but are not?

pemerton

Legend
You must spread some Experience Points around before giving it to pemerton again.
Thanks!

I was hoping I would succeed in conveying my great admiration for Tolkien's work while not personally sharing all of his outlook as to what exactly it is that he has achieved. It seems that I did.

Bluenose

Adventurer
A couple of lesser known comic books that I'm not surprised aren't on there, but are pretty good D&D inspirations:
Mark Smylie with his Artesia Graphic Novels and rpg.
Ron Marz - Sojourn comic series from Cross-Gem comics from the early 2000's.

I imagine the D&D comics from IDW could be mentioned, though that's such an obvious link that it might seem a little bit excessive - and since they're on hiatus maybe not a good idea. Or, though it's very early in the run, Rat Queens from Image is as close to a D&D comic as exists at the moment.

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION], I was just in the middle of writing a long reply to you - about half an hour in! - when I accidently clicked on a back button or some such, and lost my reply. Very frustrating! Anyhow, I'll try to re-capitulate later on. Man, I knew I should have coped and pasted into a document. So damn irritating.

drjones

Explorer
To be blunter, at least in what I have read of it it doesn't have much to say. Not that there is an absence of possible, even promising, material - tyrants, slaves, wild nomadic elves and halflings, etc. But I don't feel that it does much with them other than catalogue them.

My Athas was all about Man Vs. Nature, and the reward for survival was unraveling the mysteries of what came before the fall and what destroyed it all with a glimmer of hope about the future. Day to day it is about making it in a difficult situation where any victory seems well earned and unlikely. But the big picture is about the hubris of power and mankinds inability to control themselves for the greater good like all dystopian sci-fi. Which, played like a sandbox with major plot elements moving though it, lets the characters decide if they are going to fight to put things back to rights or go with the flow and become the new masters of what's left.

Andor

First Post
If you try it again, I recommend skipping part one about the creation of the world and get right to the stories about people. You can go back to the creation song chapters later.

What he said. Skip the angels singing and read the epic awesomeness that follows. You can ht choir practice later.

Andor

First Post
Ack! I can't believe I forgot Dianne Wynn Jones! Dark Lord of Derkholm is a ... after reading [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s post about Tolkein I must describe it as a Fantasy writers assault upon the triteness of RPG fantasy in an attempt to reclaim the tropes and elements used in them for literature... It's also a lot of fun.

Plus of course Howl's Moving castle and many others.

Nellisir

Hero
Joel Rosenberg totally as mentioned earlier.
I'd actually sort of forgotten this, but Joel Rosenberg's was really foundational for the first set of RPG rules I ever made up. I was at a new school, and a friend had brought in a copy of the Monster Manual, which he allowed me to borrow for awhile. I was reading The Sleeping Dragon, which starts off with the cliche college students playing an RPG...and includes a few references to level (alphabetical rather than numerical) and other things. So, never having seen a PHB or DMG, I made up a system that combined the references in The Sleeping Dragon with stuff from the Monster Manual. I do remember writing up stats for Ewoks. :erm:

Last edited:

vegaserik01

First Post
I imagine the D&D comics from IDW could be mentioned, though that's such an obvious link that it might seem a little bit excessive - and since they're on hiatus maybe not a good idea. Or, though it's very early in the run, Rat Queens from Image is as close to a D&D comic as exists at the moment.

They also reprinted all the DC Comics Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms in handy graphic novels, complete with gaming stats from the original issues. Not the best D&D comics, but I certainly have a soft spot for them. Now I wish they'd reprint the Dragonlance series DC did at the same time.

Remove ads