Any Christian rpgs?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
This begs the question, @chongjasmine : are you curious about games written from a Christian perspective, or games about Christian ideas, dogma, practices, history, and the like - or both?

Celebrim

Legend
There are plenty of Christian game masters and as authors like Tolkien, Wolfe, Lewis, and Macdonald show, you can tell a Christian story in a fantasy or sci-fi setting, but...

There probably isn't a Christian rpg. Most rpg's that deal with Christian iconography like in nominae or dogs in the vineyard are pretty clearly anti-christian in nature and are spiritually not that removed from dabbling in the occult. And that's to not even get into the larger body of works that are occult inspired.

The spiritual danger here is that a game is trivial and the spiritual safety of a game depends on that triviality. There are dangers involved in presenting God in fiction, and it is important to look to Christian authors like the aforementioned writers to look and see how they navigate that heady subject. You can see in Tolkien's forward to the lord of the rings for example his concerns about readers taking his works too seriously.

My advise to people engaging with this topic is always the same. If you tell a story in humility and prayer purely with the intention of telling a good story or hosting a good game, you'll end up with a Christian story or game. But of you go in explicitly trying to be Christian about it, you're very likely to end up with a blunt didactic sappy mess that not only fails to inspire, but is often thematically contrary to your intentions.

aco175

Legend
My advise to people engaging with this topic is always the same. If you tell a story in humility and prayer purely with the intention of telling a good story or hosting a good game, you'll end up with a Christian story or game. But of you go in explicitly trying to be Christian about it, you're very likely to end up with a blunt didactic sappy mess that not only fails to inspire, but is often thematically contrary to your intentions.
Good advise.

There was a D&D world in Dragon a while back with several short stories and some rules for the Middle East in the middle ages. I seem to recall a knight Templar and a nun. It was low magic but had rules for being a knight or merchant or pilgrim.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
There are plenty of Christian game masters and as authors like Tolkien, Wolfe, Lewis, and Macdonald show, you can tell a Christian story in a fantasy or sci-fi setting, but...

There probably isn't a Christian rpg. Most rpg's that deal with Christian iconography like in nominae or dogs in the vineyard are pretty clearly anti-christian in nature and are spiritually not that removed from dabbling in the occult. And that's to not even get into the larger body of works that are occult inspired.
The list posted above includes games written as teaching tools or as "indoctrination". (I put that in quotes because it seems like too strong a term to apply that generally, but it's the term the poster of the list used.)
If you tell a story in humility and prayer purely with the intention of telling a good story or hosting a good game, you'll end up with a Christian story or game.
I'm not sure this makes sense. You could also end up with an Islamic story or game, or one emblematic of any number of religions or spiritual traditions. I understand what I think you meant in context, but the sentence itself struck me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:
This is the place for the reminder that discussion of real-world religion is not appropriate for this site. While we can make some space to point folks to what might be useful references, let us avoid discussion of the belief systems themselves, please and thanks.

Last edited:

Green Ronin, I think, did a d20 mythic vistas box set for role playing in biblical times. But the most recent one I can think of, which is very good (Kevin Crawford, nuff said), is Wolves of God. Set in iron age Britain, it is not specifically a Christian games, but historically set so Christianity (of the time, very different from today) is very important

There probably isn't a Christian rpg. Most rpg's that deal with Christian iconography like in nomine or dogs in the vineyard are pretty clearly anti-christian in nature and are spiritually not that removed from dabbling in the occult.
In Nomine isn't anti-Christian, or significantly anti- any other religion. It has the premise that no religion is entirely correct, or entirely incorrect. This may bother literalist Christians, but more liberal types have no problem with it.

Remove ads