Any crunchy RPG's out there anymore?

sgtnasty

Explorer
What ever happened to crunchy games like Aftermath!, Bushido, Phoenix Command, Battlelords or Dangerous Journeys?

Everything now is D&D5, PbtA or Blades in the Dark. The closest thing I could find was Fragged Empire which considers itself "medium crunchy". I miss the old days when FGU and GDW put out some really interesting stuff. D&D4 was really crunchy and played well with my group.

Is there any call for crunchy anymore?

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
An interesting point. There don't seem to be a lot of really crunchy games these days.

Hackmaster "5e" is pretty crunchy -- and I love it. They just released their 2nd monster book, mind you the PHB released in 2012 so it's not a "new" game, but ongoing support matters.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Were you aware that you can continue to play old games, even when newer ones come out?

Maybe designers don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel when they are so many wheels already produced that the wheel-enthusiast can enjoy.
FAKE NEWS!

Everyone knows that when a new edition comes out, the RPG Police go around and confiscate your old books.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
What ever happened to crunchy games like Aftermath!, Bushido, Phoenix Command, Battlelords or Dangerous Journeys?

Phoenix Command .... Living Steel.

That's not just crunchy. That's ... Captain Crunchy. That's breakfast cereal-level crunch.

But yeah, you might be better off investing in some classics of the genre (such as Aftermath!) than looking for something new. Maybe add certain versions of Traveller or SpaceMaster.

Remove ads