Any Dark Sun info from DDXP yet?

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
OMG for shame, there are 2 whole months in there they missed!!!

This is an outrage.

Anyways to the real point of my post, we have the pregen characters, is it possible anyone got away with the adventure?
I want to play it or run it or both.

Nai_Calus

First Post
Missing the point here. Like I've noted, most of what has been gotten has been solely for DMs(And often meh even there), with actual *player* stuff few and far between and sometimes of incredibly bad quality - Domains of Eberron and the FR for example. Got WotC's own retconned 4E FR lore wrong. Nonsensical domain assignments for several FR gods. Eberron didn't even get all of the domains, much to the disappointment and confusion of Eberron fans. FR backgrounds continue to be missing. Changelings continue to have basically no support. Etc. Actual mechanical player stuff that is necessary for some concepts that aren't even *obscure*. It ain't there and probably ain't going to be.

So yes, I am incredibly skeptical as to whether or not there will be enough and quality player support for Dark Sun. I'll believe it when I see it. *shrug* Like I said, I hope they do, I'm just not convinced. I'm a pessimist. :p

Nork

First Post
I saw it mentioned various places that there was some art shown at the DDXP Darksun presentation, something about a picture of Balic and a sketch of Draj and something about moons IIRC.

Have any of the pictures made it to the internets yet? Quite curious to see the direction they are going with the art. The Brom stuff was neat, but always felt the Baxa art detracted from the original books.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
That's silly, last Dragon there was an article on the Traveller, an Eberron diety. I'm sure if we all looked, instead of peering into the cobwebs of our dusty memories, we would find more.
The Explore Fairhaven series of articles stand out in my mind as probably the best Eberron articles released for 4E. Great material for DMs there, perhaps enough to inspire a Fairhaven-based campaign.

I do wish we Eberron fans would get more articles like those, but I also wonder about the future of support for campaign settings. As more settings become available, I don't see how WotC can meaningfully support all of them on a monthly basis. I suppose they will have to allow readers and authors to vote with their reading habits and article proposals.

Squizzle

First Post
Missing the point here. Like I've noted, most of what has been gotten has been solely for DMs(And often meh even there), with actual *player* stuff few and far between and sometimes of incredibly bad quality - Domains of Eberron and the FR for example. Got WotC's own retconned 4E FR lore wrong. Nonsensical domain assignments for several FR gods. Eberron didn't even get all of the domains, much to the disappointment and confusion of Eberron fans. FR backgrounds continue to be missing. Changelings continue to have basically no support. Etc. Actual mechanical player stuff that is necessary for some concepts that aren't even *obscure*. It ain't there and probably ain't going to be.

So yes, I am incredibly skeptical as to whether or not there will be enough and quality player support for Dark Sun. I'll believe it when I see it. *shrug* Like I said, I hope they do, I'm just not convinced. I'm a pessimist. :p

With all due respect, you're moving the goalposts as easily as if they're on wheels. First it was "There hasn't been any support", then "There hasn't been much support", and now it's "There's a lot of support, but it's bad". It comes off more as you are looking for very specific pieces of support, and have a grudge because you aren't seeing it, than it is looking like these settings are unsupported.

Nai_Calus

First Post
It's probably mostly that I am notoriously horrible at conveying what the hell I mean, but I never in this thread claimed that there was 'no' support, and commenting that 'yeah, there's been very few player articles and yeah, by the way, this one was really awful' is not at all 'moving the goalpost', but a further clarifying of position.

To be fair, yes I am looking for fairly specific support: Player support, for basic stuff that should have been in the damned PG to begin with. It does indeed annoy the hell out of me that it still doesn't exist nearly a year and a half later. It annoys me that they don't support Changelings and I don't even use them or play in Eberron too.

And even I'm losing sight of my original point in pointlessly arguing with people determined to prove my opinions wrong because it's me posting them - It's not intended to start a discussion about support of FR and Eberron, it's intended to say 'I dunno, I'll believe that when I see it'.

What it boils down to is that I have no faith at all in WotC to provide accurate usable player content for campaign settings, considering their track record of very little player coverage and what little there is being of questionable quality.

Return to your regularly scheduled whatever, I've taken enough facepalm damage at this point to go into negative HP.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
It's probably mostly that I am notoriously horrible at conveying what the hell I mean, but I never in this thread claimed that there was 'no' support, and commenting that 'yeah, there's been very few player articles and yeah, by the way, this one was really awful' is not at all 'moving the goalpost', but a further clarifying of position.

To be fair, yes I am looking for fairly specific support: Player support, for basic stuff that should have been in the damned PG to begin with. It does indeed annoy the hell out of me that it still doesn't exist nearly a year and a half later. It annoys me that they don't support Changelings and I don't even use them or play in Eberron too.

And even I'm losing sight of my original point in pointlessly arguing with people determined to prove my opinions wrong because it's me posting them - It's not intended to start a discussion about support of FR and Eberron, it's intended to say 'I dunno, I'll believe that when I see it'.

What it boils down to is that I have no faith at all in WotC to provide accurate usable player content for campaign settings, considering their track record of very little player coverage and what little there is being of questionable quality.

Return to your regularly scheduled whatever, I've taken enough facepalm damage at this point to go into negative HP.

Indeed, let´s return to the thread subject you diverted us from. It can be tough having people disagree with you on the internet. Better fork a thread next time.

Wik

First Post
Personally, there are some things I've seen in this release that I like, and things that I dislike.

What I like:

• Weapon Breakage Rules
  • Sorcerer Kings are all going to be statted up (possible exception: Kalak)
  • Thri-Kreen looks somewhat playable while still being "classic"
  • Defiling looks like it'll be a decent mechanic, and will tempt the PCs (always a plus).

What I don't like (so far):
  • Crystal weapons. Not in the original set, and why are they here? "Crystal" as a weapon material has always bugged me. Bugged me in Earthdawn, and it bugs me here, too.
  • The themes seem to be ability-based, and there aren't enough of them. As I've mentioned earlier, I would have preferred to see smaller themes that replaced magic item dailies. Ah, well.
  • Muls don't have much information as of yet that make them interesting or particularly viable as a PC choice (compared to, say, a dwarf).
  • Wild Talent as a theme, as opposed to a feat. Fewer wild talent PCs is kind of a let down, but then, there was no way in hell we'd see random wild talents in 4e, so this was probably the best way to go, lest Dark Sun was overcome by layer upon layer of psionics cheese.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
Can "crystal" mean that stuff which Thri-Kreen produce by spitting out stuff and molding it into weapons, tools etc? Gah, my memory!

*Scans his Onenote notes* AH! Here it is: Dasl - a crystal-like substance. I quote the Wiki:

Dasl is a crystal created by the thri-kreen and most commonly used in the creation of weapons. Dasl's structure makes it best suited for creating three pointed blades and becomes brittle and fragile if formed into other shapes (such as a dasl sword or axe-head).

To create dasl, a thri-kreen chews a type of plant known only to them and mixes it with his saliva and natural venom. After combining these materials, the thri-kreen 'spits' a resin that will eventually harden into the desired object. Creating dasl depletes a thri-kreen's poison for at least a week.
When shaped properly, dasyl is as strong as steel. This makes it extremely valuable in a world where metal is scarce.

Remove ads