OSR Any Demand For a Simplified/OSR 5E?

Zardnaar

Legend
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, (as my OSR experience is mostly limited to retroclones, rather than OSR games that tried to add anything new) but Aren't saves in OSR game disassociated from stats to begin with?

Mostly yes. It has OSR elements its not a clone or OSR game though.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Many many moons ago (think 2007) I started a document to fix 3.5.

Over the years that has evolved into a homebrew D&D incorporating things from Pathfinder, 4E, Clones, and lately 5E.

Generally I like 5E a lot but miss a few tings on occasion form older editions. So my effort to fix 3.5 has more or less resulted in an OSR inspired 5E hack that uses the 5E spells and rules combined with various things from other editions and efforts to fix things I do not like about 5E (such as saves and the -5/+10 feats).

Now this is mostly for homebrew but its getting close to where I could make somethig like the D&DN playtest documents and put it up somewhere. The main differences between my D&D and 5E.

1. Simplified saves- I use Fort/Rex, Will the difference between a good and bad save is 3 points.
2. Microfeats. You get ferats at the same rate as 4E/Pathfinder. Several 5E feats have been broken down into their component parts. Some have been ported over as is, there are no -5/+10 feats.
3. 4 classes and races (more can be added its a lot of work), Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard + Human, Elf, Halfling,
4. Classes are heavily based on 5E. Some fighter abilities for example have been shifted. FOr example a the 4th attack is no longer a keystone ability and you get it around level 15 or 16. My cleric is similar to the life domain.
5. AD&D type outclassing with a unified hit dice and level A fighter/mage (Eldritch Knight) for example has a d8 hit dice and has the full abilities of both classes.
6. Racial feats resembling 4E ones/ lost AD&D abilities (Elves used to be good with long/short swords and bows, halflings with slings and thrown weapons).
7. Gritty rates of healing, overnight healing is a single hit dice. Non magical healing for the most part has gone.
8. XP for gold default rulew (can be removed)
9. BECMI xp rates. This is to enable AD&D type multiclassing, xp for gold, and to avoid the AD&D situation where wizards leveld up faster than other classes.
10. Overhauled armor. You now have more options as the best armor is no longer automatically studded leather and plate. Medium armor should be better.
11. Monsters hit for a lot less damage than 5E ones due to healing rates being changed.
12. 5E skill system.

The main changes are to the classes, feats and saves and I am redoing monsters.

Here is an example of the fighter, note it is getting a new capstone ability.

And a couple of monsters.

Hobgoblin CR 1/4
Medium Humanoid
Initiative +0 Senses Perception +4; darkvision 60'
HD 1d8+1 hp 6
AC 15
Saves Fortitude +3, Reflex +3 Will +2
Speed 30'
Attack: Melee +3 Dmg 1d8+1 (longsword) or
+3 ranged damage 1d8+1 (longbow)
Str 13 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 13
Alignment LE Languages Common, Goblin
Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +3
Equipment: longsword, large wooden shield, studded leather, longbow

Phalanx: Hobgoblins gain +2 AC when fighting adjacent to another creature with this ability.

Disciplined: The hobgoblin chooses a creature within its reach. The next attack roll made against that target by a friendly creature that also has this trait has advantage.

Ogre CR 1

Large Giant
Initiative -1 Senses darkvision 60'
HD 4d10+8 hp 38
AC 12
Saves: Fortitude +8 Reflex +2 Will +-1
Speed 40'
Alignment CE Languages Giant
Skills Perception +3 Stealth +10,
Str 18 Dex 8 Con 18 Int 5 Wis 7 Cha 7
Skills: Athletics +6
Equipment: hide armor, club, 3 javelins
Actions
Attack: Melee +6 Dmg 2d8+4 (club)) or
+6 ranged damage 2d8+4 (javelin)

I've got one question, how do you do monster scaling? Do you scale accuracy or scale hitpoints/damage? A big problem I have with 5e is how monsters are big meat bags so there is a lot of math needed on the run. I don't have that much working memory. -_-

Leaving that nitpick aside, this sounds nice. Give me a proper sorcerer, port the noble and I'm all on board ^-^. I could help with layouts and maybe some drawings over time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is 3 numbers+ the ability scores.

All you have to do is add your ability scores tot he 3 numbers form the class descriptions. Its no different than 5E where you add your proficiency bonus to 2/6 saves and then add your ability modifiers on top of that. My system you are proficient in 3 savers in effect add your stats, that is 3 less number to keep track of over 5E.

You also only have to remember 3 modifiers over 6 as well once you can add your class save+ ability modifier.

I have seen D&D use a single save number before, I was tempted to use that. I did it this way as I wanted scalig saves as 5E doesn't work to well at higher levels where you have 95% failure rates on bad saves.

9 > 6, it's more complicated and fiddly. Part of the point is to have bad saves at higher levels, nothing scales that much: scaling reduces simplicity.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've got one question, how do you do monster scaling? Do you scale accuracy or scale hitpoints/damage? A big problem I have with 5e is how monsters are big meat bags so there is a lot of math needed on the run. I don't have that much working memory. -_-

Leaving that nitpick aside, this sounds nice. Give me a proper sorcerer, port the noble and I'm all on board ^-^. I could help with layouts and maybe some drawings over time.

So far monsters are scaling like 5E ones but are weaker so far.

Thing like Dragons and Drow will resemble 3.5 ones a bit more or AD&D. SR is a static number, Dragons still cast spells etc.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
So far monsters are scaling like 5E ones but are weaker so far.

Thing like Dragons and Drow will resemble 3.5 ones a bit more or AD&D. SR is a static number, Dragons still cast spells etc.

Well, it is good to know. A major complaint I have is that each new edition the actual maths of monster health get fatter, fatter and fatter. But if everything else gets simpler, nice.

I am interested in this. For all talk about how easy is to run and stuff, I find 5e very hard to run. And the game feels rusty in places and too gonzo at others.

Would you want my help to polish your docs and accept submissions? I'll have some spare time starting next month.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well, it is good to know. A major complaint I have is that each new edition the actual maths of monster health get fatter, fatter and fatter. But if everything else gets simpler, nice.

I am interested in this. For all talk about how easy is to run and stuff, I find 5e very hard to run. And the game feels rusty in places and too gonzo at others.

Would you want my help to polish your docs and accept submissions? I'll have some spare time starting next month.

Sure any help is nice.

Monsters are kind of a mix of 3.5/5E with the 4E traits. I have an earlier Bestiary I am converting over to the current rules I am using.

I use the core 5E rules though (spells, skills, round structure, combat rules) so just converting my feats etc to the new rules as I was using the 4E round structure.

Remove ads