D&D 5E Any fluff from various editions you want to see carried forward in 5e?

Daven

First Post
I wish planes were for epic characters (maybe high paragon), and not for heroic or low-paragon.
In 4E often there were plane-adventures even at low levels. But I think that so doing planes become "already seen" too soon. There is a lot on the other side of the mountains, before going off-plane. Epic leves would be more epic if you can do something that at low levels you can not try. Monsters from other planes become rarer and more frightening. Dark ones are good, but there are already goblins for that on the material world.

avin

First Post
Oh, heck yeah. I saw this trend in some of the 4e setting books. Why are there warforged clerics in Dark Sun? Don't know, but at least you can do whatever you want.

Races of (4E) Arthas: Mul, Thri-kreen, Dray (Dragonborn), Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-giant (goliath), Half-elf, Halfling, Human, Tiefling.

A few Genasi, Kalashtar and Minotaur are described... I've seen no Warforged... and there's no Clerics on 4E Darksun...

Mercule

Adventurer
Races of (4E) Arthas: Mul, Thri-kreen, Dray (Dragonborn), Dwarf, Eladrin, Elf, Half-giant (goliath), Half-elf, Halfling, Human, Tiefling.

A few Genasi, Kalashtar and Minotaur are described... I've seen no Warforged... and there's no Clerics on 4E Darksun...
Ah. My bad, then. My group didn't move to 4e. I didn't have a problem with 4e, so I followed it for a bit, but what I know about Dark Sun is hearsay.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I wish planes were for epic characters (maybe high paragon), and not for heroic or low-paragon.
In 4E often there were plane-adventures even at low levels. But I think that so doing planes become "already seen" too soon. There is a lot on the other side of the mountains, before going off-plane. Epic leves would be more epic if you can do something that at low levels you can not try. Monsters from other planes become rarer and more frightening. Dark ones are good, but there are already goblins for that on the material world.

Planes should go back to what they were in 1e MotP. Mysterious, very dangerous places where PCs shouldn't go (but do anyway...cause PCs are like that)

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Actually make it a bad thing for a drow to become a drider. In 4th edition it became a blessing from Lolth to become one.

Make the good dragons the way they used to be. Don't make them unaligned so you can have a reason to kill one.

Sonny

Adventurer
I really liked when 3rd edition introduced Iconic Characters. I think it would be awesome to get some of these guys back, plus new ones! Does anyone remember the original B2 Keep on the Borderlands?

In my ideal DnD, the core rulebook features iconic characters in lively situations colorfully illustrating how the game works. And in B2 Keep on the Borderlands, all these iconics populate the keep or are available as pre-generated characters. Using Iconics in "newbie-DM adventures" is excellent as a teaching tool to set the tone you want for the game.

3E_March_Character.jpg
tordek_color.jpg
Actually this makes me want the Player's Handbook to have each chapter use iconics with a classic module theme for the art.

Chapter 1: Art shows the iconics at key moments in Keep on the Borderlands.
Chapter 2: The art is based on the iconics visiting the Moathouse or first level of Undermountain, etc...

It's a good way to show the variety of adventures players can have, while celebrating D&D's 40 year history.

Remove ads