• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any good Gamma World one-shots out there?

blalien

First Post
I originally posted this in the Fan Creations forum but that place is a ghost town, and I couldn't figure out how to delete that thread, so yeah...

I'm looking to run a Gamma World one-shot next weekend, and I don't really have time to write my own. The adventure in the back of the book takes two sessions (and sucks, anyway) and Trouble in Freesboro is impossible to get ahold of. Does anybody know of some good fan-made one-shots?

Last edited:

ourchair

First Post
I originally posted this in the Fan Creations forum but that place is a ghost town, and I couldn't figure out how to delete that thread, so yeah...

I'm looking to run a Gamma World one-shot next weekend, and I don't really have time to write my own. The adventure in the back of the book takes two sessions (and sucks, anyway) and Trouble in Freesboro is impossible to get ahold of. Does anybody know of some good fan-made one-shots?
If you're moderately good at improvising -- and the silly nature of Gamma World means that few things you improv into the game are 'too stupid' -- you don't need a big adventure or that much of a script.

I took about four of the locations in the maps that came with the box set and hastily constructed an adventure out of it, two hours before I was to run the game (and I'm notoriously :):):):) at improvising)

The idea is that the players wake up in a bunch of giant test tubes in what looks like an abandoned laboratory. There's a cauldron in the center that contains what they *think* is experimental biochemicals but its really just oatmeal and the exposed wiring and supercomputers makes them think that 'something happened'.

The players end up trying to fight past guardbots, talk to a glitchy and only partially informative and talkative robot and deal with a bunch of electric vines in elevator shafts and a gang of mutant pigs that think they are adventurers and have come to the place to raid it for phat lewt drops (they even scream, "I wasn't supposed to draw aggro!" when hit)

The punch line is that the entire underbelly of the place is a processing facility and the top floor is a museum of natural history. The players are there because they were going to be stuffed and turned into museum displays. The talkative robot is a guide bot.

In short, take a few monster groups, come up with something to string together and make sure there are little interesting things to pique the interest of your players. Gamma World is kind of easy to plan in that regard because as I mentioned, it invites the silly.

Dungeoneer

First Post

I had the same questions as you as I wanted to run a GW one-shot this weekend. I looked all over and eventually went back to the adventure at the back of the book and took a closer look at it.

My verdict: it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes it's linear, and pretty bare-bones. But it's got an interesting hook (a series of exploding robots!), features a Yexil and the BBEG is a samurai rabbit with a grenade launcher!

The encounters we played were good ones as well - varied, tactically interesting and with some cool traps/hazards.

The adventure needs a little fleshing out, not surprising considering the page count it was crammed into, but I actually think it's a solid intro, if a bit long for a one-shot.

Last edited:

Remove ads