Paizo Any good High Level Adventure Paths, starting at lvl 10?

One relatively recent is the 2000 module (theoretically for 3rd edition, but clearly written before writers were able to switch from the AD&D mindset) Into the Dragon's Den by Sean K Reynolds.
I really disliked that module when I read it. Seemed to be based on the aftermath of a Forgotten Realms novel or something, and assumed the DM would know all sorts of things before heading off for the Dragon's Den that I really didn't - including that some NPC wizard had killed the dragon off-stage before the adventure starts; maybe I didn't read it properly, but it took me ages to realise there wasn't going to be an actual dragon in the adventure.

The wandering monsters such as a horde of wights (on foot, on an open plain) looked really un-fun in a 3rd edition adventure for high level characters. "The wizard repeatedly fireballs them while the rest of us watch."

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I really disliked that module when I read it. Seemed to be based on the aftermath of a Forgotten Realms novel or something, and assumed the DM would know all sorts of things before heading off for the Dragon's Den that I really didn't - including that some NPC wizard had killed the dragon off-stage before the adventure starts; maybe I didn't read it properly, but it took me ages to realise there wasn't going to be an actual dragon in the adventure.

The wandering monsters such as a horde of wights (on foot, on an open plain) looked really un-fun in a 3rd edition adventure for high level characters. "The wizard repeatedly fireballs them while the rest of us watch."
It does feature lots (and lots) of trivial enemies for the relatively high-level heroes to overcome. This is part of what I meant with "clearly written before writers were able to switch from the AD&D mindset".

Porting it to 5E would in part mitigate these issues since the power disparity is greatly lessened in a game with bounded accuracy. The same goes for Pathfinder 2, assuming you run it with the proficiency without level variant. Still, AD&D assumes a hit point lost is a hit point not easily regained, which isn't true of any of the discussed games unless you use house rules to change the way everything from CLW wands to Medicine checks work. Of course, if you're porting a scenario you could just as well upgrade the monsters to provide more of a meaningful challenge, so... shrug

CapnZapp

Legend
Slumbering Tsar is awesome, and being too high level for the start isn't really a problem, as the adventure is brutal.
Cool. Found this in a review:

In terms of power level and lethality, Slumbering Tsar is Greg Vaughan at his most "over the top". Quite frankly, potential TPKs lurk almost everywhere and frequent character deaths are not simply possible -- they are probable. There are eight pages of a blank Obituary chart included at the end of the book just to record character deaths. While this is a bit of a prank by the author for the .PDF version, the point is well taken: this thing is deadly.
Makes me want to see Vaughan porting it to Pathfinder 2, a ruleset with a reputation for ruthless deadliness far surpassing any other mainstream edition... :LOL:

Theoretically you could use the Zeitgeist adventure path, which has a rough option for starting to get 10th or 11th level, and skipping the first five adventures. but it's in its own custom setting, and the first five adventures do help lay the groundwork of various clashes that are going on that will eventually come to a head.

I'm contractually obligated to recommend ZEITGEIST whenever anyone asked about adventures, but I acknowledge this would be a bit of a heavy lift.

In this abridged version, the PCs would be hunting down members of a conspiracy, figuring out what the conspiracy is up to, and then dealing with the fallout of when the conspiracy does a big ritual. It is a bit globetrotting, with the players hobnobbing with VIPs, and having a fair bit of political influence, along with spycraft.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
I have Zeitgeist, and have been wanting to run it for some time.... I'll take a look at jump starting it..
Theoretically you could use the Zeitgeist adventure path, which has a rough option for starting to get 10th or 11th level, and skipping the first five adventures. but it's in its own custom setting, and the first five adventures do help lay the groundwork of various clashes that are going on that will eventually come to a head.

If you have access to Dungeon magazine you could run the Savage Tide AP, either starting with Here There Be Monsters from Dungeon 142 when the party gets shipwrecked (it is for levels 7-8 but it would be fairly easy to beef up the encounters; the party having access to teleport might enable them to bypass the whole adventure, however) or just start with Tides of Dread from Dungeon 143 (shipwreck optional in this case).

Remove ads