D&D 5E Any good sandbox modules published since 5E?

CapnZapp

Legend
Hello

I'm looking for a map and material of the old school sandboxy feel. Any recommendations, particularly ones published for 5E, maybe on DM's Guild?

Specifically:

You have a map of wilderness, with the usual ruins, marshes, abandoned towers, caves and what not. In one corner of the map there's the town that'll become the adventurers home base.

This is supported by descriptions of what you'll find at each location: the goblin tribes, the fearsome troll, the skeletons lurking in the abandoned graveyard, ideally complete with encounter maps of warrens and abandoned towers etc.

As you explore the map, you'll find leads to more adventure (quests) deeper within the wilderness.

I'm mainly asking for newer products. (The "classics" of AD&D and 3E, from Gygax, Necromancer Games etc I already have )

Cheers

Fanaelialae

Legend
While I don't think it isn't exactly what you're looking for, Spiral Isles is a very interesting point crawl adventure. It's set in the afterlife, with players as shades of their former characters (presumably) seeking to return to the world of the living. The rules support both Swords & Wizardry, as well as 5e. However, since they are merely shades of their living selves, they don't have access to their racial or class abilities (instead they have abilities powered by the very life essence that they need to return to the living world).

While they're not specifically for 5e, Bone Marshes (Knave) and Woodfall (system neutral) are both hex crawl mini-settings, and would require minimal effort to convert.

Bone Marshes is about a swamp that's on fire (due to ancient alien technology buried beneath it).

Woodfall is about a town of witches and outcasts squatting on the King's land. The King wants them gone. It's got a bit of an anachronistic feel, with many of the NPCs in town having a modern-esque mindset, so it might not be to your liking if you're looking for a more traditional setting.

Into the Wyrd and Wild isn't a setting per se, but it does have a lot of cool ideas for running a wilderness sandbox if you want to portray the wilds as inhospitable and alien. Using this supplement, staying too long in the wilds can warp both mind and body. It also has a bunch of monster and plant write ups, as well as harvesting mechanics that could be ported to 5e with a little effort.

I assume the 5e conversion of Rappan Athuk falls under the classics of 3e? It's more focused on the megadungeon, but it is also a sandbox.

I think all of those are available on DTRPG.

Reason for edit: autocorrect had changed Bone Marshes to Bones Marshes.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I like the Quests of Doom ones at least the first 3 from Frog God Games. Some if them are hexcrawls, tagline 1E feel, 5E rules.

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
If I can plug a book by my own company, we're clost to releasing a sandbox called the Runewild, which is a forest filled with fey, witches, and other strange creatures.

The art is behind schedule, but as soon as it gets in, we'll put the PDF up on DriveThru with POD to follow.

You can check out some free previews here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse...d+preview&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

And if you want you can preorder here: https://www.backerkit.com/projects/matthewjhanson/the-runewild-a-dark-fairy-tale-setting-for-5e

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
5e update to Isle of Dread by Goodman Games. A classic, made even better.

The new Essentials Kit starting adventure (levels 1-6) is somewhat sandboxy, with an overall theme/goal.

Call from the Deep on the DMs Guild is really well done. It's a see-based adventure that has a heavy Lovecraftian element to it. The campaign structure is very similar to Storm King's Thunder, and it is pretty sandboxy once you get through the first 5 levels.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases