• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any News on a 4E game?

Shag

Explorer
Thread title pretty much covers it... 4E has been out of a while now, any news at all of a PC game based on the new rules?

jeffh

Adventurer
After ToEE the "conventional wisdom" in the industry, so I'm told, became that turn-based games won't sell. Never mind that that particular one was a bug-ridden, poorly paced POS. It took a largish modding community with no support from the company years to make a decent game out of it - proof that, on rare occasions, you can polish a turd. But you shouldn't have to. The real lesson should have been that crappy games won't sell.

Considering Atari still has the license after that contretemps and the equally large fiasco that was D&D Online, it may be just as well there's nothing on the horizon.

Simplicity

Explorer
What I don't understand is why WotC still deals with this exclusive license garbage. It's clear that there's a demand for D&D games. It's also clear that Atari isn't satisfying that demand (either in number of titles produced and in quality of titles). Computer games could bring people into the D&D fold just like the SSI games did way back when.

I'm not saying Wizards should get into the computer game business, but I do think that they would have a lot more luck encouraging D&D game development than discouraging it with exclusive license schemes.

tmatk

Explorer
What I don't understand is why WotC still deals with this exclusive license garbage. It's clear that there's a demand for D&D games. It's also clear that Atari isn't satisfying that demand (either in number of titles produced and in quality of titles). Computer games could bring people into the D&D fold just like the SSI games did way back when.

I'm not saying Wizards should get into the computer game business, but I do think that they would have a lot more luck encouraging D&D game development than discouraging it with exclusive license schemes.

I doubt a big publisher would agree to make a D&D game if they had to compete with another publisher at the same time. They also pay tons of cash for the rights.

I agree it sucks, the competition would produce better games. Atari is hardly helping the D&D brand with what it's made, NWN1 the exception.

After ToEE the "conventional wisdom" in the industry, so I'm told, became that turn-based games won't sell. Never mind that that particular one was a bug-ridden, poorly paced POS. It took a largish modding community with no support from the company years to make a decent game out of it - proof that, on rare occasions, you can polish a turd. But you shouldn't have to. The real lesson should have been that crappy games won't sell.

Sigh, I badly wanted to play ToEE, bought it, downloaded patches, never made it more than an hour in because there is apparently a ring or some such that drops that is absolutely necessary to advance the story that isn't present in my copy for whatever reason.

Sorry, got distracted.

Anyways, I'm not a huge fan of 4e, but I would very much like to see it turned into a video game. I think that it could really shine.

jeffh

Adventurer
Sigh, I badly wanted to play ToEE, bought it, downloaded patches, never made it more than an hour in because there is apparently a ring or some such that drops that is absolutely necessary to advance the story that isn't present in my copy for whatever reason.

Sorry, got distracted.

Anyways, I'm not a huge fan of 4e, but I would very much like to see it turned into a video game. I think that it could really shine.

Black Jay's ring? Not indispensable, and requires only patience.

The Co8 mods give that aspect of the game a welcome makeover, in any event.

TOEE, patched, is the best D&D computer game, ever IMHO! :)
turned based rules, real time sucks spheres because you cannot run the tactics that makes D&D what it is, so it's a massive loss.
NWN2 is good, but the lakc of turn based...bah, you cannot use half your spells when playing Hardcore as you'll hit your own party etc.

Oh, TOEE, fighter/rogue, spiked chain user, holy spiked chain +1, Combat Reflexes = High Dexterity, Great Cleave, weapon focus/specialization in spiked chain + sneak attacks, + Enlarge Person and haste...that is just far too sick in the big rooms with bugbears etc, muhaha!! GO GO TORNADO OF DEATH!! ;)

Bugbears in ToEE are fun. The sound they make when they do almost sounds like the German word (or rather expression?) "'Tschulding". So bascially it as if they say "Sorry for the bloody mess I leave behind".

Which basically makes them a strange mix of German (language) and British (manners). ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads