WotC Anybody a little worried about how useful their paid VTT library will be in a year+?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Came across this interesting blog post about the whole ogl 1.1 thing with a somewhat different pov from most of the coverage so far that really highlights some issues with what wotc seems to be trying for that I haven't seen much mention of. Also given the thread's topic it's interesting to note that wotc talking about "The top VTT platforms" already having custom agreements looking like a rather creative bit of P-hacking or similar .

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
That is a really wild use of that term. Not critiquing it, but I had to think about it pretty hard to see why you were using it. I'd just have said "disingenuous" myself lol.

But I certainly agree. It seems like WotC has agreements with Roll 20 and Fantasy Ground and that's it.
I think I actually started typing that at first but decided to shift it because of the whole "never assume malice when incompetence/stupidity" of Hanlon's razor thing. Get enough different departments involved in a statement and it only takes so long before someone is making references they never had any reason to understand.

Edit: taking things another step it's a useful metric to show how the statement is disingenuous even while it might be "objectively" true under a filter of p-hacking.

Last edited:

bostonmyk

Explorer
Came across this interesting blog post about the whole ogl 1.1 thing with a somewhat different pov from most of the coverage so far that really highlights some issues with what wotc seems to be trying for that I haven't seen much mention of. Also given the thread's topic it's interesting to note that wotc talking about "The top VTT platforms" already having custom agreements looking like a rather creative bit of P-hacking or similar .

Thank you. That definitely does clear things up a bit. Obviously, this is an inconvenience for some of us, but definitely more for those whose livelihood depends on it. Man, what a mess:oops:

jgsugden

Legend
I never spent a dime on content for my chpoice of VTT, Roll 20. I saw no need. I spent some $ on the access to the advabced features, and I received some free content ... but never spent a dime on content and have made great use of the platform without it.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I'm a little worried that the WotC VTT will be so good and easy to use that I will be less and less inclined to use my physical miniatures and terrain. And I have a LOT invested in those.

It's not an idle fear: this already happened when I went from primarily 2d terrain to 3d terrain, and hundreds of dollars of 2d stuff got donated to my D&D Club. Now I am into 3d terrain for exponentially more dollars.

I probably don't have as much as it sounds like you have, but I make use of all of mine by playing over Zoom and using a camera pointed at the table. I use Owlbear Rodeo and a scanned map for "exploration/TotM" mode and then set up the scene with minis and terrain when a fight breaks out.

bostonmyk

Explorer
I never spent a dime on content for my chpoice of VTT, Roll 20. I saw no need. I spent some $ on the access to the advabced features, and I received some free content ... but never spent a dime on content and have made great use of the platform without it.
It is always about saving time for me rather than any specific brand loyalty. Buying integrated assets (character builder, monster manuals) lets me focus on playing than typing/coding/drawing etc.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I use FantasyGrounds and was keen on One D&D but will adapt a wait and see. I think I will continue to use FGU, they have made it a lot easier to copy and paste material in and if they continue that and add the ability to do dice macro in the effects they would go a long way to make users independent on rule specific implementations of the core rpg rules.
I think that perhaps aside from the upcoming PHB may look more to third parties for adventure support and monsters. I am in a wait and see how things pan out.

Remove ads