• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody Already Starting their Ten-Page Fantasy Setting

EOL

First Post
Anybody out there confident enough (or deluded enough) to have already started work on their 10 page document for the WoTC Fantasy Setting Search?

I haven't but I thought about it, mostly because I have built up so much creative energy on the topic that I thought it might be nice to "strike while the iron is hot".

Vaxalon

First Post
Absolutely, I agree entirely.

Win or lose, I'm switching my game group to play my setting so I can start banging it out.

Green Knight

First Post
ROTFLMAO! I was JUST about to start this thread!

Yes, I have started work on a 10 page submission. Just the broad strokes, as I don't know what the requirements will be.

Am I that confident that I'll make it into the 2nd round? No.

But I AM liking the world that I've come up with. I've had this idea rolling around in my head for YEARS, now, but have never really fleshed it out. Mostly because it keeps on getting adapted to fit various settings and systems (D&D, Rifts, HERO, etc). But now that I've begun work on it for D20, why not keep going with it?

Besides, if I DO make it to the 2nd round, I want to be ready. The 2nd round submission is due July 31st, after all! How they expect to whittle thousands of submissions down to ten, and expect those ten people to turn in 10-page submissions within little over a month I have no idea, but there it is. So I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Tuerny

First Post
What is everyone writing for their ten pagers?

I am fairly certain they haven't given us the guidelines yet...

EDIT: Whoo! Post 100!

Last edited:

Green Knight

First Post
As I said, I'm just fleshing out some of the broad strokes for now. Organization of some knightly orders, naming of some nations, thinking up some NPC's, etc.

EOL

First Post
I agree the guidelines haven't come out yet, but waiting for them presupposses that it's going to make a difference, that it's going to matter because you're going to be in the final ten. The truth is maybe you are but at best your chance is probably less than 1%. I think what people are saying so far is that this whole thing has really stoked the ol' creative furnace and they want to keep the heat on. If we can use the "getting an early start on the 10-pager excuse" so be it.

In addition from what I've heard the guidelines are going to be pretty loose, and even if what you write doesn't match the guidelines very well I guarantee it will give you a head start if for no other reason than forcing you to put your ideas down.

Krug

Newshound
I'm sure they're going to be flooded with proposals. Probably will have to decide by the end of the month for most of them.

Jon F. Zeigler

First Post
EOL said:
Anybody out there confident enough (or deluded enough) to have already started work on their 10 page document for the WoTC Fantasy Setting Search?

I've started jotting down some notes.

Mostly because my leading proposal is something that I can probably sell elsewhere at some point. Minus the D&D-isms, of course. So even in the extremely likely case that Wizards roundfiles it, the effort won't be entirely wasted.

Beaker

First Post
I made about 4 pages of notes (mostly brainstorming) as I prepared to write the 1-pager. Now I'm continuing to write and brainstorm - flesh out details of magic, history, PC races, etc. I hope to have lots of material to work with by the time the 2nd round comes along. Who knows? Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones.

Remove ads