Anybody like/play The World of Darkness?

Crothian

First Post
Changeling the Dreaming is my favorite RPG. It's a lovely mess of contradictions and bad rules but has enough creative ideas that a storyteller can really put together an impressive chronicle. It takes some work though and one has to have the right players for it.

I still own a ton of World of Darkness books. It has some great ideas for modern urban fantasy horror which is also my favorite genre.

Talmek

Explorer
One of my very first RPG experiences (as a player) was with the old VtM that was GM'ed by a friend of mine while I was in the military. We played every Saturday night for almost 3 straight months, eventually ending the campaign in an epic battle between three different vampires from three different factions (think of the old "Mexican stand-off" from the movies but completely unintentional).

I love the setting; however, I've never been able to organize a nWoD campaign, despite having multiple books of the setting. I'd really like to try it out sometime, but alas - my group is firmly entrenched in a 5e campaign that I'm currently GM'ing as well.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6785485]painted_klown[/MENTION] Oh, I suspect there are quite a few of us ENWorlders who dabbled in various WoD settings. Like [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] I ran a Mage game which was a blast. I also echo [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION]'s sentiment that the old WoD generally had better stories but inferior rules compared the new WoD. Haven't played any WoD setting in ages though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I also echo [MENTION=6755061]Kiraya_TiDrekan[/MENTION]'s sentiment that the old WoD generally had better stories but inferior rules compared the new WoD.

In one case (Mage) those "better rules" also tend to completely whollop what made the game really good in the right hands, though.

Quickleaf

Legend
In one case (Mage) those "better rules" also tend to completely whollop what made the game really good in the right hands, though.
Yep, that's true that the great spell improvisation and paradox stuff was lost in new Mage.

OTOH the new Changeling has a very promising storyline at least equal to that of the Dreaming.

Like I said, my point was meant as a general trend.

painted_klown

First Post
Thanks for the feedback all. I love to see what "veteran" players think of stuff. I like the idea of trying different games & systems, but must admit trying to learn PF and 5E at the same time proved a bit rough for me. I keep getting the rule sets mixed up here and there, and sometimes find my 5E players giving me blank stares when I ask "Anybody have knowledge dungeoneering?" LOL!

I do plan to read and learn the WoD system, however. With only one book to go through, and a completely different system, I am sure I'll be able to better avoid rules mix-ups.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH the new Changeling has a very promising storyline at least equal to that of the Dreaming.

I liked many of the ideas of the original Changeling, but found the magic system to be pretty much unworkable. I've heard good things about the new game, and would be happy to try it.

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
I had some ideas for Changeling: the Lost games that amused me but never got off the ground. One was about various holiday characters being True Fey, and I had planned on doing a "robot" Santa NPC as a Manikin enemy. Whoops, actually, my other plot was for Changing Breeds.

Jhaelen

First Post
I liked many of the ideas of the original Changeling, but found the magic system to be pretty much unworkable. I've heard good things about the new game, and would be happy to try it.
I didn't really care about the old Changeling and really just bought it to complete my WoD collection, but the new Changeling has a much more interesting premise (imho): Instead of playing true fey, you play a human who had been kidnapped by the fey and managed to escape. However, living in the fey world caused some of the glamour to rub off on you. Oh, and the true fey are of course after you. Pretty cool, imho.

Big J Money

Adventurer
I love the settings but don't care for the rules. In my hands their 9 stat system feels very awkward. Probably if I house ruled them I'd be ok, I'm just focused on other things.

Remove ads