Anybody like/play The World of Darkness?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The WoD and NwOD games are very good rules-light RPGs. I'd love to play them, but haven't really had the opportunity. The closest I actually came was being a playtester for GURPS: VtM.

My biggest problem was that the WoD games, while basically sharing a system, were not truly 100% compatible.

Crothian

First Post
I didn't really care about the old Changeling and really just bought it to complete my WoD collection, but the new Changeling has a much more interesting premise (imho): Instead of playing true fey, you play a human who had been kidnapped by the fey and managed to escape. However, living in the fey world caused some of the glamour to rub off on you. Oh, and the true fey are of course after you. Pretty cool, imho.

In Changeling the Dreaming you don't play a true Fey either. You play a changeling which is a creature that bridges the gap between humans and Fey. In the book that details the end of Changeling the Dreaming the true Fey show up and pretty much destroy all the changeling as abominations.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh. I would not, by a long shot, call them rules-light.

Compared to things like GURPS or my personal #1 RPG system, HERO, they definitely are. At worst, I'd say there were at the heavy side of the bell curve for rules-light games.

Stormonu

Legend
I have very fond memories of a Vampire game I ran in the 90's with oWoD rules. I had retired the campaign after one of the major players had passed away in real life (due to a heart defect, sadly). Picked the game up with the nWoD a couple years back (different group of players, same NPCs and backdrop - New Orleans and surrounding area), and had a good time. The nWoD also made it easier to include Werewolves and even a Mage character in the group, so I enjoyed that.

We also did a Hunter and a Changling game; that was fun - especially the Changling game, as being from Hattiesburg, MS I got to throw Brett Farve in as a changling as part of the setting. :)

Audrik

Explorer
We also did a Hunter and a Changling game; that was fun - especially the Changling game, as being from Hattiesburg, MS I got to throw Brett Farve in as a changling as part of the setting. :)
Nice! My mother flew all the way from Alaska to Green Bay when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant with me so I could be born in the holy Packers city. Well, that and because her family was there. Personally, I'd see Favre as a Mage who kept trying to put a little Magick on his throws. When they were good, they were awesome; when he got slapped with backlashes, it was painful to watch.

Also, to the thread topic ... I ran a Dark Ages game for about two years almost fifteen years ago, and it was great. A couple months ago, my old group asked me to pick it back up over Roll20 (as we've all moved away). It's been interesting trying to piece together our memories and decipher odd notes on character sheets (the Giovanni player had a mysterious 'Remember: 2 ,, 3' written on his sheet). Fortunately, I have a very good recollection of where I was going with about 70% of the plotlines, and the players reminded me of another 10% or so. We also started the very first session so many years ago by tracking every point of experience awarded and spent, and on which days they happened.

Remove ads