• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anybody see The Skeleton Key?

Mean Eyed Cat

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
Can anyone tell me the details/spoil it for me? (Or not, if that's deemed inappropriate for this particular thread.)

Yeah, I think I can do that without giving away too much. Here's a plot summary from imdb.com:

"Caroline (Kate Hudson) is a twenty-five-year-old hospice worker who cares for the ailing and the elderly, a job designed to atone for her own mistake for ignoring her dying father in the past, when she had been a rock 'n' roll manager. After her latest charge passes away, Caroline takes a job in Louisiana, caring for Ben (John Hurt), a stroke-victim who is bed-ridden and cannot speak. But Caroline becomes suspicious of the house, and Ben's cold wife, Violet (Gena Rowlands) only adds to the creepy atmosphere. After acquiring a skeleton key, Caroline makes her way into a secret room within the attic where she discovers hair, blood, bones, spells, and other instruments for practicing hoodoo. Violet says she has never been in the secret room, but that the items probably belonged to the original owners' two houseworkers, who practiced black magic and were lynched as a result. Noting that Ben had his stroke in the attic after entering the room, Caroline is determined to unlock the secrets of the house, and rescue Ben from the horrors that hold him captive within."

Needless to say, there's some twists and turns and, in parts, it gets a little formulaic (e.g. the ol' "person turns around and another person is suddenly there" scare tactics). However, the ending is a great surprise (as I said above, I totally didn't see it coming). You really have to see the movie for it all to make sense (sorry, I won't give it away ;))

However, I will leave a little teaser about the ending:

[sblock]It's not a "happy ending" for our protagonist[/sblock]

qstor

Adventurer
Mean Eyed Cat said:
Oh, and Kate Hudson is hot :eek:

I have to agree 100% about that that :)

I think the ending was a surprise for me. And think it would be pretty cool to use in an RPG. But over all I'd give it 3 stars out of five.

Mike

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I have it on good authority our friend the Ranger Ewok has been using the movie's magic trick on people for years and that he was originally a Belgiun Dentist named Cecil.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads