D&D General Anybody still playing a d20 System game?

GreyLord

Legend
If you add OGL games to it (basically D20 without as many rights and privileges) I think you'd add a ton of people still playing. I mean, Pathfinder 1st is basically D&D 3.5 modified, but closer to D&D 3.5 and 3e than almost any other D20 game.

I'm not a fan, but there are a ton of people who were/are. I still play Castles and Crusades (OGL) so there's that. There's also the first Lone Wolf/Magnamund RPG that I have (OGL).

Is SW: Saga Edition is D20 you could toss that in as a game I want to play at some point.

teitan

Legend
I still have plans for Mutants & Masterminds as one of my favorite games of all time, even in 1e. Outside of that I felt that D20 wasn’t ever really pushed enough to go outside the D&D model. D20 Modern was cool but the tier aspect kind of complicated in execution for a DM. I think a 5e chassis for it could be interesting.

Zardnaar

Legend
If you add OGL games to it (basically D20 without as many rights and privileges) I think you'd add a ton of people still playing. I mean, Pathfinder 1st is basically D&D 3.5 modified, but closer to D&D 3.5 and 3e than almost any other D20 game.

I'm not a fan, but there are a ton of people who were/are. I still play Castles and Crusades (OGL) so there's that. There's also the first Lone Wolf/Magnamund RPG that I have (OGL).

Is SW: Saga Edition is D20 you could toss that in as a game I want to play at some point.

Yes SWSE is d20, has the logo etc.

I highly doubt there will be another WotC SWRPG ever. They kinda messed up last time around.

The licence will expire and a few years iirc. It's usually a 10 year licence.

Indeed.

I remain baffled to this day how Monte Cook & Co could fail to realize that a 1st level professor-type character needs to be able to have a level ten skill score in his or her designated field of academia.

Just... baffling
I think a lot of writers during the D20 boom must have realised that D&D assumptions weren't the best fit for the type of game they were writing.

I suspect they just shrugged, because the brief was probably to make the best game they could without alienating D&D fans with the unfamiliar.

(Whether that goal was actually well considered is a different question).

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Yes SWSE is d20, has the logo etc.

I highly doubt there will be another WotC SWRPG ever. They kinda messed up last time around.

The licence will expire and a few years iirc. It's usually a 10 year licence.
Fantasy Flight Games publishes a number of high quality board games, card games, miniature games, and roleplaying games that are widely popular. They show no signs of slowing down or relinquishing that license any time soon, and I for one am glad for that. They have done a tremendous job with that particular IP, and the RPG really captures the feel of it, more than a class-based lower-level system like d20 ever could.

Frankly, I think WotC has done much better for themselves (and everyone else) to focus on pure D&D to create the best version of it possible without pulling every other theme and variant under the sun into one particular mechanic or style of play.

Zardnaar

Legend
Fantasy Flight Games publishes a number of high quality board games, card games, miniature games, and roleplaying games that are widely popular. They show no signs of slowing down or relinquishing that license any time soon, and I for one am glad for that. They have done a tremendous job with that particular IP, and the RPG really captures the feel of it, more than a class-based lower-level system like d20 ever could.

Frankly, I think WotC has done much better for themselves (and everyone else) to focus on pure D&D to create the best version of it possible without pulling every other theme and variant under the sun into one particular mechanic or style of play.

Fantasy Flight won't have a choice if the license expires. They can try to extend it. I hope they do keep it but it's not up to them.

If it was a 10 year license it runs out in less than two years.

FFG seems a cool company doing good work though so hopefully they're alright.

Last edited:

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Fantasy Flight won't have a choice if the license expires. They can try to extend it. I hope they do keep it but it's not up to them.

If it was a 10 year license it runs out in less than two years.
Pretty sure the license isn't just passed around the table to the next guy waiting their turn. It is paid for, ergo, FFG may have the option to bid for an extension or renew it again. It all depends on how much other companies are willing to pay, but FFG has already established multiple, successful lines generating great profits for them vs other companies who would not only need to develop their own product lines, but follow in the shadows of what FFG has already created. But we shall see.

Remove ads