D&D General Anybody still playing a d20 System game?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
By which I mean the actual d20 System, not just any game which uses a d20. It would have this logo, and been produced in the early 2000s. I’m curious which, if any, lived on as published in peoples’ game nights after the d20 boom ended.

(Excluding Pathfinder — I know people are playing that!)

[Edit - also OGL games, of course, based on the d20 System, but not using that specific license).

009B196A-C7A8-4E46-9774-872957F81444.png

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I played the d20 system conversion of call of Cthulhu for a Halloween one-shot once. The d20 system is a horrible mismatch for the themes of CoC, but the sample adventures in the back of the book were both excellent.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
That was a great book, and my first introduction to CoC actually. Granted, levels and HP bloat and feats don't mix awesome with cosmic horror, but it worked well enough with pulp action. And the production value was stellar.
Mine too! It was such a mixed bag, the overall quality was fantastic, but the system was such a tonal mismatch.

I played the d20 system conversion of call of Cthulhu for a Halloween one-shot once. The d20 system is a horrible mismatch for the themes of CoC, but the sample adventures in the back of the book were both excellent.

How would you compare it to Pulp Cthulhu?

Also I am currently the youngest player in a 14-year multi-campaign setting running 3.5e

Nebulous

Legend
How would you compare it to Pulp Cthulhu?

Also I am currently the youngest player in a 14-year multi-campaign setting running 3.5e

If you cap your level by 4th or 5th I would say it's kinda comparable (but still stronger) than Pulp Cthulhu. You could still further tweak it, such as reducing HP gains per level. I ran the entire Masks of Nyarlathotep using d20 CoC and it's the most fun I ever had running a campaign, but again, the over the top nature of Masks lent itself to characters throwing dynamite and shotguns everywhere (and a Gas Camel,which was literally barrels of gasoline strapped to a camel and sent charging into cultists warehouses with a lit fuse.)

I'm in the beginning stages of gathering players for a PC campaign, the Two Headed Serpent, using 7e rules.

Last edited:

Remove ads