D&D 5E Anyone else feeling "meh" about recent 5e releases?

Retreater

Legend
Maybe give a brief summary of the topic you're referring to? There is a set piece around level 5 I seem to recall so it may well be that one.

It involves going to a winery, having a combat with a swarm of some creatures, meeting an important villain with a long history in D&D, going to the town of Valaki (sp?), and having other scripted events happen whilst there.

Again, I haven't read the adventure so I don't know the context of the session. Just that my fiancée knew every detail about what was going on because she had played it nearly two years ago.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, ever since Wizards bought TSR. When that happened we assumed it'd (eventually) be like Reeses's Peanut Butter Cups. Two great things finally together.
Though most of the clamoring I ever saw/heard was for D&D stuff to be made into MTG cards. Afterall, anything MTG has? You can replicate that anytime you want in D&D of any edition. You don't need the company to do it for you.
But to this day I've yet to pull a Beholder card....

Flash forward to 2018 & we get some 5e Ravnica D&D books/PDFs.
Well. Better late than never & I suppose they had to start somewhere. Still hoping for my pure D&D set of MTG though.

Nathan Stewart has said that D&D Magic cards are planned, since Ravnica was a big hit...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think there needs to be some kind of co-ordination within your group. I make a point of not reading any of the WotC adventures unless I think there is a high probability I will use them in the near future.

But if those adventures where at all bad, I don't think people having already played them would be a problem...

Eh? Apart from Dragonheist and the starter sets, most of the content seems to go up to at least level 11. I've just run The Styles from GoS with a level 9/10 party.

All three of these are pretty niche. Psionics will probably come eventually, but I can't see much chance of WotC ever doing mass combat, or adding complexity to a system that's main USP is it's simplicity.

Actually, Mearls let drop that the Vehicle rules being used in the books this year are spun off from Mass Combat rules that are being worked on for a future project right now. They realized the mass combat could be reworked for vehicles, and went with that earlier. So, expect that soon.

Vael

Legend
Nathan Stewart has said that D&D Magic cards are planned, since Ravnica was a big hit...

The last set had a Bag of Holding.
49283832-54f2-4619-b4a9-750493c93292.jpg

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It involves going to a winery, having a combat with a swarm of some creatures, meeting an important villain with a long history in D&D, going to the town of Valaki (sp?), and having other scripted events happen whilst there.

Again, I haven't read the adventure so I don't know the context of the session. Just that my fiancée knew every detail about what was going on because she had played it nearly two years ago.

Ah right, the Wizard of Wines. Not a required encounter, but not an unusual one either given there are three encounters based around the winery I believe (along a couple unique magic items relating to them). The "meeting an important villain with a long history in D&D" was the fixed set piece though.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Honestly, this anecdote suggests to me that WotC plan, to create shared experiences for players, has worked excellently.

Retreater

Legend
Honestly, this anecdote suggests to me that WotC plan, to create shared experiences for players, has worked excellently.
I love shared experiences. I just wish there were more official experiences out there so I can run more adventures.
I'll admit. I'm a little overwhelmed (sometimes running five campaigns). Having access to more material would save me a lot of time, not to mention helping me when I'm not feeling the most inspired.
There doesn't seem to be a good community around the 3pp and DMs Guild products - other DMs who can bounce ideas off each other, leave reviews, etc. Maybe that's something we can get going here on ENWorld once all the features come back?

Remove ads