D&D 5E Anyone else feeling "meh" about recent 5e releases?

Retreater

Legend
It frankly takes a cynical and jaded individual to not feel some excitement over the upcoming 5e releases.

I mean, I guess that's me. The upcoming announced releases include: a reprint of arguably the worst received 5e adventure [Tyranny of Dragons]; a joke boxed set for a comedy starter set that's more of a novelty product [Rick & Morty]; an adventure dealing with contracts with devils and invasions - which I'll admit I can see the appeal of - but to me it's just a little on the bleak and edgy side [Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus]; and a campaign sourcebook that is only going to be useful to people who don't already have campaigns they're running - more likely in other campaign worlds [Eberron].

I think that's it for the rest of the year. Of the ones that I listed, only the Avernus has any appeal to me, and I don't think I'd want to run it.

And before that we had a couple other joke releases, starter sets, and an adventure compilation reprint. It's been a very "off" year for D&D for me. But that's all I can say: "for me." If you love it, great!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, I guess that's me. The upcoming announced releases include: a reprint of arguably the worst received 5e adventure [Tyranny of Dragons]; a joke boxed set for a comedy starter set that's more of a novelty product [Rick & Morty]; an adventure dealing with contracts with devils and invasions - which I'll admit I can see the appeal of - but to me it's just a little on the bleak and edgy side [Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus]; and a campaign sourcebook that is only going to be useful to people who don't already have campaigns they're running - more likely in other campaign worlds [Eberron].

I think that's it for the rest of the year. Of the ones that I listed, only the Avernus has any appeal to me, and I don't think I'd want to run it.

And before that we had a couple other joke releases, starter sets, and an adventure compilation reprint. It's been a very "off" year for D&D for me. But that's all I can say: "for me." If you love it, great!

The Eberron book is of use in other settings: new Class, new Races, Group Patrons, adventure generation tools and maps, monsters.

having a Shifter Artificer working for a newspaper fighting living spells can fit in a lot of different worlds.

They have said they are going to uncrapify the Tiamat adventure. Which may mean a change in view and in review towards it. Kobold Press have since hopefully learned from working on Ghosts of Saltmarsh.
I do not consider the joke sets to be part of the main line up.
You should give Descent into Avernus a chance. At least listen to the reviews as they come out.

And Eberron is looking to have quite a substantial offering. The beauty of a lot of the 5e releases has been setting agnostic material or easy portability.

The Essentials Kit is looking like a winner and more importantly is a product that Wizards have put together from listening to the wants of the public. We need more products like this.

Tony Vargas

Legend
having a Shifter Artificer working for a newspaper fighting living spells can fit in a lot of different worlds.
… such as? I mean, er… Dresden Files, maybe...?

...mind you, I'm running an adventure set in Eberron (OK, Eberron's hypothetical, diesel-punk future), right now.

And, yes, the Artificer is a long over-due and welcome addition to 5e. (Though I don't see the need to prioritize it ahead of Psion and Warlord - it /is/ just another archanist in a game that already has 4 all-arcane-all-the-time classes - I'll still take it, thankyouverymuch.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
… such as? I mean, er… Dresden Files, maybe...?

...mind you, I'm running an adventure set in Eberron (OK, Eberron's hypothetical, diesel-punk future), right now.

And, yes, the Artificer is a long over-due and welcome addition to 5e. (Though I don't see the need to prioritize it ahead of Psion and Warlord - it /is/ just another archanist in a game that already has 4 all-arcane-all-the-time classes - I'll still take it, thankyouverymuch.)

Planescape, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, much homebrew...

The Eberron book is of use in other settings: new Class, new Races, Group Patrons, adventure generation tools and maps, monsters.

I'm a little bit dubious about the generality of your example, but I know for a fact that several Warforged have been sighted in the Forgotten Realms.

To assume a setting book is only useful if you are using that setting is to miss the point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases