D&D 5E Anyone else have a problem with Sculpt Spells?

Uller

Adventurer
I see it as simply arcing around the target.
Or just a matter of considering that everyone is moving, ducking, etc. Maybe evokers are just better at timing. Maybe line spells are not lazerbeam straight.
I'm AFB right now, but I'm pretty sure you can't fireball yourself. I'm pretty sure Sculpt Spell only works on other creatures, not the caster. (I'm speaking in terms of RAW, obviously).

RAW says creatures that you can see. Unless you are blinded or otherwise heavily obscured from yourself (or somehow not a creature) then you are a creature that you can see and can sculpt spells around yourself.

thethain

First Post
You realize that in order to sculpt spells the wizard gave up the incredibly powerful options of say Diviner. Literally picking what numbers are going to be rolled in certain situations.

Honestly its more odd the idea that spells are so rigid in their execution. If you know how to make a cone of cold, or a fire ball, why can you not make a cone of fire or ball of cold?

These are options in the loremaster wizard UA, but really is a solid question in general. (And was even addressed RAW in maybe 3rd by giving the option to research variations of spells)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Or just a matter of considering that everyone is moving, ducking, etc. Maybe evokers are just better at timing. Maybe line spells are not lazerbeam straight.

RAW says creatures that you can see. Unless you are blinded or otherwise heavily obscured from yourself (or somehow not a creature) then you are a creature that you can see and can sculpt spells around yourself.

Actually it doesn't. It expressly says "...that effects other creatures that you can see.." This wording would seem to intentionally exclude the caster.

Fanaelialae

Legend

That's certainly a valid way to describe it, but I think the arcing explanation works well given that the effect is called sculpt spell.

I realize that this has been answered in this thread, but just to remove any shadow of doubt, Crawford says no to using sculpt spell on yourself.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/1...rotected-person-in-the-sculpt-spells-feature/

Remove ads