• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone have a concept for a Divine striker or controller?

phil500

First Post
I think most of the power source/role combinations have been covered either by classes or discussion *looks at martial controller*.

Does anyone have a concept for a divine striker or a divine controller?

Mirtek

Hero
phil500 said:
I think most of the power source/role combinations have been covered either by classes or discussion *looks at martial controller*.

Cleric of Wargod - melee striker
Cleric of Deathgod - caster striker

Gort

Explorer
You could probably retool the paladin, take away his defender powers, give him a major focus on smites to do damage, give him a name like "Inquisitor" and bingo, divine striker.

Revinor

First Post
phil500 said:

I would see some variation of fighting inquisitor/witch hunter as a divine striker. I don't know if you have seen latest Warhammer Online newsletter, but when I was reading description of Witch Hunter mastery paths, I was already interpreting them in D&D 4th ed way ;)

Mechanic would be probably kind of 'melee warlock'. Number of magical 'curses' (accusations/judgements using WAR terminology), but most damage being delivered at sword's point.

For divine controller, I don't see a ready archetype. We have seen only one controller so far and he is 'controlling' by area damage spells. I don't think it really fits divine, without making a divine wizard clone. If at all, I would see some kind of real MMORPG-like crowd-control spells (shackles, banishements, etc), but they are not fitting 4th ed well (no damage and removing actions from opponent - two big NOs of 4th edition)

Gort

Explorer
To be honest, I think the major difference between a divine controller and an arcane one would be flavour text. The arcane/divine divide is pretty much like that already. There's not a great deal of difference between flame strike and fireball, bar flavour.

MaelStorm

First Post
The Crusader in the ToB: Bo9S is a Divine Striker.

And if you listen to The Tome, Podcast 52: Andy Collins talk about a future divine controller class, that deliver ranged attack prayers (like attack spells, ex:lightning strike).

Last edited:

happyelf

First Post
Kaodi said:
Hmmm... a divine controller archetype...

So, you mean Moses, right? ;)
yeah, i always thought a mystic or prophet would be a good counterpoint to the cleric.

While the cleric represents the church, a mustic or prophet would be a more moses-like figure, in a simple robe, robe belt, waving a staff around and screwing with the status quo. There could even be a fair bit of animosity with them, with clerics seeing mystics as iconoclasts and zealots, while mystics see clerics as officious and dogmatic.

I think a prophet or mystic would work well as a divine controller.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads