Anyone headed to GenCon 2021?

I've been going on and off for years, and I'm thinking of checking out the con this year. Three months ago I would have been too wary, but based on CDC guidance I think it should be safe for me to go, since I'm vaccinated and am comfortable wearing masks.

Anyone else planning to go?

Retreater

Legend
My wife reminded me that having a honeymoon and a major gaming convention within a few months would be taxing on our finances, so I am skipping this year.
Honestly, I'm kind of glad I made the decision. No True Dungeon, limited access to the Vendor Hall, fewer games with several prominent companies not attending, and other limitations/restrictions.
While all of this might be necessary coming out of COVID, I can't help but think it's going to be a lesser con than in previous years. So I'll just save my money, vacation time, etc, and go another time.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I am. I'm fine with wearing a mask, and showing my proof of vaccination, so based on the latest CDC guidelines it should be alright (though I'll be observing the rule about frequent handwashing even more closely than usual when going to a convention).

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I won't. Nothing to do with COVID though. Last time I went was 2015 I think and back then I thought they had already outgrown the space. I probably won't go again until they get a bigger place to host it. Both city and actual convention space.

pogre

Legend
I think I’m probably going to hang on until next year before I go to any conventions.
Me too. I am going to a historical Wargames swap meet today, but that will mostly be an extended shopping trip. I just got my home game going again in-person - I'm not ready to jump back into conventions.

Retreater

Legend
Not to mention it's the same weekend as a home Colts game, so downtown is going to be packed, the Con is losing access to the stadium, etc. It's just not a good series of factors to drop $1K+, IMO.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
Being in Indy, it's tempting to at least stop in one day, but we're being extra cautious still (I work for a hospital & my wife for a school), and want to start off the school year on good footing... so we are skipping this year.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Being so close I have been thinking about it (and I am vaccinated and masked), probably will wait until next year though.

Vaccination rates have plateaued at 50% big crowds like that are still iffy
And at the distances the crowds pack into the hall, masks will be useless
Being fully vaccinated is only 90% immunity and as gamers we all know how easy it is to roll a "1"

Remove ads