Anyone headed to GenCon 2021?

I debated between maybe going to Origins and maybe going to Gen Con. I ended up decided on maybe Origins because the deadlines were farther out so that I have more time to see what the state of the pandemic is as the summer draws on. And honestly, for a con that's going to perforce be limited, I'd rather the cheaper, closer option in Origins.

But in all honesty, I suspect I'll end up cancelling. With At this point my hope is that Gary Con is safe to hold in-person next year, and that will be my first in-person con since Gen Con 2019.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I won't. Nothing to do with COVID though. Last time I went was 2015 I think and back then I thought they had already outgrown the space. I probably won't go again until they get a bigger place to host it. Both city and actual convention space.
In a relatively central location (i.e. the midwest US) there really aren't any. Indy's as good as it's gonna get.

There's cities/convention centers on both US coasts that are bigger but then access becomes a bloody nuisance for those on the other coast. Having it in the midwest shares the pain around as equally as possible.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
In a relatively central location (i.e. the midwest US) there really aren't any. Indy's as good as it's gonna get.

There's cities/convention centers on both US coasts that are bigger but then access becomes a bloody nuisance for those on the other coast. Having it in the midwest shares the pain around as equally as possible.
Except there's a much bigger city one state to the west which is easily accessible by road and more accessible by air with a much larger convention space and more hotel rooms than indy has homes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Sounds tough.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I'm collecting money to go. If I can afford admission, event tickets, food & gas, and a hotel room - oh and some spare cash for souvenirs (t-shirt, dice, new game, whatever) - then look at the events to see if something is listed that I want to get in on.

COVID will only be a problem if somebody decides to demand Vaccine Passport or similar "you are not actually welcome to attend" nonsense.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I haven't been to Gen Con since.... 2014? I've shifted my attention to closer conventions - like GaryCon and GameholeCon. GaryCon has been hosed for 2 years due to being late winter and coinciding just when lockdowns were starting and too early for immunizations to be widespread, but GameholeCon in the fall is well scheduled. I'm definitely going to that one with my proof of immunization and mask.

ccs

41st lv DM
Vaccination rates have plateaued at 50% big crowds like that are still iffy.

I doubt the situation will have improved next year.
•The anti-vaxers won't have changed their stance.
•We'll be reading about the umpteenth even more virulent strain of this crap.
•Those of us that are vaccinated will still only be (at best) 90% immune.
•And despite this? Things will have "gotten back to normal". Wich means the crowd at GC '22 etc will be larger.

So I'm probably safer going to GC this year. + I can catch a Colts game.

And the crowd goes mild. Well, mixed enthusiasm is still something.

If I decide to go, I would love to arrange some sort of EN World meetup, and run a few games with other posters here. I bought a badge, since if I change my mind I'm only out like a $6 fee.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases