Anyone out there playing FUDGE?

beldar1215

Explorer
Is anyone running FUDGE? I'm thinking about running a game based on Sliders. What should I know in advance about running the system? I want to use the base Fudge rules for the game with tweaks from myself and the players.

Beldar
Rocky Mountain Savages

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I've played in a handful of sessions of the Dresden Files RPG, and that's using the FUDGE/FATE system.

It's a great system for story-based gaming. Combat proved to be a bit clunky, but I chalk that more up to inexperience with the system than I do to a fault with the rules. Combat is supposed be more narrative than tactical in my opinion, and several of the players in my group are fans of D&D 4e for obvious reasons.

The method of character generation was awesome for creating a party of PCs who had reasons to band together. We ended up with my paranoid supernatural researcher dating a wizard-in-hiding who used the White Court vampire as an information source who was serving as a guardian angel of sorts for the private investigator who was checking out a suspicious magic dabbler/college professor who had previously taught a class attended by my supernatural researcher.

We all knew each other through someone else. It just worked, didn't feel forced, and made us want to help each other for reasons other than "they're in the party."

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I don't know of anyone using the base FUDGE rules these days, but FATE (which is derived from it) seems quite popular of late. The Dresden RPG in particular is one of the main sellers in my area.

You might want to look into The Dresden Files RPG (urban fantasy), Diaspora (hard sci-fi), Starblazer Adventures (space opera) or Strands of Fate (generic), all of which are recent versions of FATE.

FATE/FUDGE is a great core system. It can be suprisingly tactical (Diaspora has what amounts to an abstract wargame as one of its game modes and it's fascinating), and the aspect system is probably the easiest to grasp method of putting narrative control into the hands of the players I've yet seen. Many FATE games also have some of the best chargen out there when it comes to bringing the players to a common understanding and getting them involved in the game.

Remove ads