Anyone Own or Have a Favorite FLGS?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
My FLGS for some reason has been very slow to start preorders for new D&D products, to the point where I got Spelljammer from a shop in Texas to be sure I’d get the alt cover.

As much as I’d love to give Paladin’s Game Castle all my dnd money, I just don’t like waiting until a few weeks before release to pre-order.

Which makes me wonder, does anyone here own a FLGS? Anyone know of a really good FLGS that is on the ball, run by good people (not neckbeard gatekeepers or their enablers, for instance), and could use some extra patronage?

If I’m gonna spread the love around a little, I’d prefer to have some level of recommendation for the place I’m spending it.

doctorbadwolf

Not just for this, either. I would love to be able to support people here directly if y’all are making a living in the gaming space.

Is there perhaps a thread or space to collect and collate what everyone here makes, publishes, runs, or sells, that is relevant to gaming and the community? Like in an easy to scroll through and find stuff format? If not can we start a thread just for that purpose, where people chime in with thier stuff, links, and those likes and short blurb get added to the OP?

I am a controversial poster, so I’d be a bad OP for such a thread, as a decent number of folks have me on ignore, including Morrus.

@Umbran and @Dannyalcatraz if I’m just being dumb and there is already an easy answer to my query/the space I’m asking about is right in front of my nose, I apologize for what would then be a somewhat spammy thread.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, you could always peruse this forum:

aramis erak

Legend
I've been fond of two for many years...
both are brick and mortar but also do mail orders...
Bosco's Comics & Games, Anchorage AK - www.boscos.com
Matt's Cavalcade of Comics, Collectibles, and Games, Corvallis, OR - ilovespidey.com

I have done demos off and on over many years for Bosco's, and run a drop-in game at Matt's since moving to Oregon.

I've bought from Noble Knight several times - they sent me the wrong lot once - I got the right title, but not the lot I paid for - instead, I got the more expensive lot with another book (one I wanted anyway, but hadn't ordered due to funds). Their prices are a might high... They do have a brick & mortar store, too, but I've never been there.

doctorbadwolf

Well, you could always peruse this forum:
I don’t know why I find the new forums harder to navigate, but somehow I always forget that exists. Thank you.
I've been fond of two for many years...
both are brick and mortar but also do mail orders...
Bosco's Comics & Games, Anchorage AK - www.boscos.com
Matt's Cavalcade of Comics, Collectibles, and Games, Corvallis, OR - ilovespidey.com

I have done demos off and on over many years for Bosco's, and run a drop-in game at Matt's since moving to Oregon.

I've bought from Noble Knight several times - they sent me the wrong lot once - I got the right title, but not the lot I paid for - instead, I got the more expensive lot with another book (one I wanted anyway, but hadn't ordered due to funds). Their prices are a might high... They do have a brick & mortar store, too, but I've never been there.
Nice! Do you know if shipping from Alaska to other states is dramatically delayed vs ordering from a different state?

aramis erak

Legend
I don’t know why I find the new forums harder to navigate, but somehow I always forget that exists. Thank you.

Nice! Do you know if shipping from Alaska to other states is dramatically delayed vs ordering from a different state?
Only by idiots in the "lower 48" who think Alaska isn't part of the US....
Most next day rates take 2 day; 2 day rates take 3-4 days. otherwise, normal non-book-rate, non-parcel-post, goes by air to Seattle or San Francisco. PP goes surface, so typically 2 weeks.

Getting stuff out? No problem. It's getting stuff up there. Many places don't ship to Alaska, Hawaii, nor Puerto Rico, and for no good reason. USPS ships fine, albeit some of the villages get mail as little as once per month. FedEx, UPS, and DHL hit all the significant population centers on the road grid, and several that aren't.

That first issue, I ordered from a place in the midwest once, and they delayed shipping because they "couldn't get an an answer to what customs forms are needed." (Correct answer: "None, it's part of the US, you «bleep»ing «bleep»!!!") At least, once the owners figured out their shipping clerk was an idiot, they sent it overnight via DHL.... which took 3 days because I wasn't home when DHL hit the house the first time.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
@FitzTheRuke has a great shop. Reach out to him.
I appreciate the shout-out, but we are so old-school (but not gatekeepers or neck-beards) that our website sucks and we don't do any online or shipping orders. We are still a walk-in type store. I know! I just like it that way.

Which isn't to say that I wouldn't go out of my way for an individual (I have done so for some people here) in need! Buy it's not our SOP.

We are in Western Canada and have some of the same problems as our brothers from Alaska.

Continental US, "Sorry, we don't ship overseas."

Um. We are NOT overseas! Over boarders, sure. No sea.

doctorbadwolf

I appreciate the shout-out, but we are so old-school (but not gatekeepers or neck-beards) that our website sucks and we don't do any online or shipping orders. We are still a walk-in type store. I know! I just like it that way.

Which isn't to say that I wouldn't go out of my way for an individual (I have done so for some people here) in need! Buy it's not our SOP.

We are in Western Canada and have some of the same problems as our brothers from Alaska.

Continental US, "Sorry, we don't ship overseas."

Um. We are NOT overseas! Over boarders, sure. No sea.
I mean one could go by sea, but it would be a bit silly.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I mean one could go by sea, but it would be a bit silly.
It's particularly silly when stuff is shipping from Seattle. It's a three hour drive, and that's only because Seattle's traffic sucks.

Here's my store's website, if you're curious to see pictures. Just a small place: Hourglass Comics & Games. I'm not proud of the website, but I am proud of the store. I've had it for almost 29 years.

Remove ads