• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone seen a Priest Hunter PrC?

Shadow64

My beloved rogue/fighter recently has had a rough time with some priests of Orcus. I am wondering if anyone has put out a Priest Hunter PrC something like a Mage Hunter PrC that I saw a while back (but haven't seen since and I don't remember where I saw it.)

If anyone can give me advice (or even post a homebrew PrC) i'd be very thankful.

Ghostwind

First Post
If you can wait until January, there will be a PrC in Pale Designs: A Poisoner's Handbook by Bastion Press that will fit your needs. :)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Our very own SHARK has a very well fleshed-out Witch Hunter class for his Vallorean Empire[/b] setting that I think could be easily modified to be a Priest Hunter.

See if you can impose on him.

Chun-tzu

First Post
How about the Divine Champion (for warriors) and Divine Seeker (for rogues) from Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting? The Divine Champion gains a Smite ability that will work against those Orcus worshippers (assuming you yourself don't worship Orcus), and more importantly, has "Sacred Defense" which gives a save bonus against divine spells and spell-like abilities. And get this: The Divine Seeker also has Sacred Defense, and the bonus is unnamed. So, the Sacred Defense bonus from both classes should stack (a total of +4 to save vs. divine magic from minimum 8 levels is hardly unbalancing, so I think most DMs would let them stack).

Falcon

First Post
The KoK PHB has a PrC called "Vessels of Man," which are primarily disaffected clerics, but could work with some tinkering in many campaigns. If you don't have access to the KoK PHB, lemme know, and I will try to post some basic info for you.

Shadow64

I like the idea of a witch-hunter style character, I will have to attempt to get a hold of SHARK. I looked at the Divine Seeker and while I liked it, I don't feel it would hold all that well to my character since he hasn't been to "faithful". ie - he doesn't worship any god.

Last night, after scouring sourcebooks galore, I took the Assassin PrC from the DMG as a template for what I am calling my Casters Nemesis PrC. (I had just finished watching Snatch and Bricktops little speech about "nemesis" was still in my head.) I don't have any real Requirements yet, but I'm thinking BAB + 7, knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks, and (probably) Combat Reflexes.

So, here we go:

Base Attack Bonus and Saves
BAB/Saves would follow closely to the Assassin progression, probably with some minor tweaking.

Abilities:
Break Concentration (1st level):
You can attempt to break a casters concentration even if they are casting on the defensive. Declare you are going to attempt to break their concentration before the caster makes their check, and then treat the Concentration roll as the target AC. If you hit the caster they can attempt to make a second concentration check as normal for Concentration vs. damage. (I was thinking about adding a bonus to this equal to your total Casters Nemesis level on top of all the regular attack bonuses.)

Protection (1st level):
You skill at attacking spellcasters has given you insight on how to defend against their attacks. Select a Save (Fort, Ref or Will) and add this bonus to it vs. spells.
1st: +1
3rd: +2
5th: +3
7th: +4
9th: +5

Evasion (2nd level):
As per Rogue class ability. If you have Evasion then you gain Improved Evasion. If you already have Evasion and Improved Evasion then you can gain an extra feat.

Improved Evasion (7th level):
As per Rogue class ability. If you already have Improved Evasion you can instead choose to gain an extra feat.

Spells:
Once again, I would hold close to the Assassin spell progression, but with a modified spell list. All the rules for Int to use a spell still apply. I will admit, some of these spells seem a bit…high end…and I will probably end up switching some of them out. When looking at them I was thinking one thing: What would *I* want to use if I wasn’t hunting casters. I would want spells that defend against their spells, spells that play on their weaknesses (ie – fort and ref saves), as well as spells to hinder them (dispel magic, summon swarm). But enough of my rambling.

First level spells: Resistance, Shield, True Strike, Detect Magic
Second level spells: See Invisibility, Protection from Law/Good/Chaos/Evil, Resist Elements, Summon Swarm
Third Level spells: Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Protection from Elements
Fourth level spells: Dimension Door, Contagion, Stoneskin

Notes: Their could be a potential for added Sneak Attack damage, but for some reason I think that would over power the class, especially if I left some of the more powerful spells in the line up.

If you have any comments, please post em!

Shadow64

version 2

after some retooling, here is version 2:

Requirements:
Base Attack Bonus +4, Knowledge (Religion) 3 ranks, Knowledge (Arcana) 3 Ranks, Spellcraft 3 ranks

BAB and Saves as per Assassin
HD: d6
Skillpoints: 6 + Int

Ability Progression:
1 - Break Concentration, Spell Dodge
2 - Evasion*, Learned Power (First)
3 - Spell Dodge
4 - Learned Power (Second)
5 - Spell Dodge, Spell Defense
6 - Learned Power (Third)
7 - Improved Evasion*, Spell Dodge
8 - Learned Power (Fourth)
9 - Spell Dodge
10 - Improved Spell Defense
* see ability text

Abilities:
Break Concentration
By using an Attack of Opportunity you can attempt to break a casters concentration even if they are casting on the defensive. Declare your break attempt before the caster rolls their concentration check. Once the caster has rolled take their Concentration check total as the AC you must hit with your attack to sufficiently distract them. If your attack is successful then roll your damage as normal. You do not do damage, instead the caster can attempt a second check equal to 10 + “Damage” + Spell Level. If the caster succeeds their spell goes off. If not, the spell is lost or not cast as if they had failed their concentration check.

Spell Dodge
This ability grants you an extra +1 to one of your saving throws. When you get this ability you can select which save you want it to effect. Each time you gain this ability you can select a different save to modify. This ability is good only against spells; it does not have an effect on any other saving throws.

Evasion
As per the Rogue ability. If you already have Evasion then you gain Improved Evasion. If you already have both of these abilities then you can instead choose an extra feat.

Improved Evasion
As per the Rogue ability. If you already have Improved Evasion then you can instead choose an extra feat.

Spell Defense
You gain Spell Resistance equal to 5 + total character levels.

Improved Spell Defense
Your Spell Resistance increases to 10 + total character levels

Learned Powers (Sp)
You have learned to use your preys’ knowledge against them. Treat these powers as being cast by a wizard equal to the characters Caster Nemesis level for duration, bonuses, etc.

First Power
As a standard action you can use this ability four times per day. You can select one of the following spells to emulate: Resistance, Shield, Detect Magic, Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Magic Weapon.

Second Power
As a standard action you can use this ability three times per day. Select one of the following spells to emulate: Resist Elements, See Invisibility, Blur, Invisibility.

Third Power
As a standard action you can use this ability two times per day. Select one of the following spells to emulate: Dispel Magic, Protection from Elements, Fly, Haste.

Fourth Power
As a standard action you can use this ability once per day. Select one of the following spells to emulate: Dimension Door, Stoneskin, Minor Globe of Invulnerability.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads