• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone seen Dragon 352 yet?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
BOZ said:
ack - sorry about that. i wish i could have saved you the trouble. we've been excitedly talking about next month's issue (really should have started a separate thread, we've been taking about that more than the current issue!), which at the earliest, will be in people's hands in about 2 weeks. :)

Oh no it's my fault and not really a big deal. There is an article on the Isle of Dread that will probably be interesting even if I'm not running Savage Tide. It's only 8 bucks, nothing to get worked up over in any event. I was just bummed that I didn't bother to look at what I was buying. :lol:

James Jacobs said:
I'm glad to hear that you'll check the Malcanthet article out anyway, Flexor; I'm sure there'll be something in there to tickle the demon-fan for anyone, as in it DOES introduce some new demon lords and adds a new monster and so on... And at the very least, if Malcanthet is your least favorite demon lord (she happens to be one of my favorite, so I'm pretty tickled that I finally got to write this article), you're set in not having to worry she'll be the focus for the next one! :)

I don't know if she is my least favorite demon lord, its just that I'm not familiar with her and hope to see some stuff on some of the classics big boys before the series runs out or a new edition hits since it's only 3 articles per year. I'll make sure to check that next one out and I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Shemeska

Adventurer
James Jacobs said:
And at the very least, if Malcanthet is your least favorite demon lord (she happens to be one of my favorite, so I'm pretty tickled that I finally got to write this article), you're set in not having to worry she'll be the focus for the next one! :)

By the way James, I'm going to go ahead and hold you responsible if my family decides to shun me in a few weeks, or asks if I'm playing some sort of satanic game.
shemmywink.gif

You see it slipped that I had something in Dragon 351, and my mom, my -mom-, decides to get all proud of her kid and gets it into her head that she'll buy a copy of anything I get an article in. 351 was pretty innocuous to hand an overprotective mother, so no problem there.

*polite chuckle*

Well it also happened to slip to her that I had something in 353 as well. I hung up the phone and suddenly realized, with dread flashing in my mind, that 353 was also the same issue that you had your Malcanthet article in.

evil_monkey.gif
And then there's the cover illustration for issue 353. Gah!

Easter dinner with my family will be... interesting...

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Shemeska said:
Easter dinner with my family will be... interesting...

I live to serve!

If it helps, you can let them know that we gave you a special thanks in the masthead of issue #144 of Dungeon for helping us with the Planescape stuff in "Diplomacy." Of course... there's fiends in that one too, so maybe that's not such a good idea...

Anyway, the cover illo's not THAT bad. The naughty parts are mostly covered, after all.

Mostly.

Shemeska

Adventurer
James Jacobs said:
If it helps, you can let them know that we gave you a special thanks in the masthead of issue #144 of Dungeon for helping us with the Planescape stuff in "Diplomacy." Of course... there's fiends in that one too, so maybe that's not such a good idea...

I live to serve ;)

This shall be amusing. I'll post the tale of my tribulations over the fallout for this over on the Paizo boards in a month or so.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Based on the material from Issue 352, I went to my library and checked out Perdido Street Station. Read the first three chapters last night and I'm loving it...

sckeener

First Post
Shemeska said:
I live to serve ;)

This shall be amusing. I'll post the tale of my tribulations over the fallout for this over on the Paizo boards in a month or so.

Share the grief! I've been sharing your post to James to all my friends. The monkey graphic just seals it as over the top funny.

and btw I'm jealous you've already seen the cover.

Acid_crash

First Post
I'm a little late to this fun little thread, and having only read the first page I gotta say that anybody who thinks Glen Cook's writing is better than China's is...well...I'm not gonna say it due to its offending comments.

I find Glen Cook to be one of the worst hacks of writing I've ever attempted to read. I couldn't get two chapters into any of his books. They jump around with no continuity, leave me wondering what the hell his words actually mean, and bored the hell out of me. And I am an avid reader. I want to write novels someday. I want to read as many different people as I possibly can, from the good to the bad. And I could not get into his books unless my very life depended on me finishing one of his horribly written books.

And I've read some god awful books in my days.

I will say that the worlds Glen Cook writes up are cool. I really liked the Black Company game setting and the game, but I could not read his novels. Very bad. Quite possibly the worst author I've ever attempted to read.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Acid_crash said:
I'm a little late to this fun little thread, and having only read the first page I gotta say that anybody who thinks Glen Cook's writing is better than China's is...well...I'm not gonna say it due to its offending comments.

I find Glen Cook to be one of the worst hacks of writing I've ever attempted to read. I couldn't get two chapters into any of his books. They jump around with no continuity, leave me wondering what the hell his words actually mean, and bored the hell out of me. And I am an avid reader. I want to write novels someday. I want to read as many different people as I possibly can, from the good to the bad. And I could not get into his books unless my very life depended on me finishing one of his horribly written books.

And I've read some god awful books in my days.

I will say that the worlds Glen Cook writes up are cool. I really liked the Black Company game setting and the game, but I could not read his novels. Very bad. Quite possibly the worst author I've ever attempted to read.
I've read hundreds of novels and find Cook to be quite entertaining, his somtimes sparse style of writing, ie not doing a tolkien and spending page upon page upon page of fleshing out of the setting, fit the Black Company books quite well.

Sure you didn't type it, but your implied insult to fans of the series is really not in with the type of discussions that this forum is focused on.

BadMojo

First Post
Acid_crash said:

Just to clarify, you don't like Glen Cook's writing? :confused:

I've read a few of the Black Company books and while I don't think the writing is particularly good, I've certainly read worse. Much worse, actually.

Back to the stuff about the Dragon mag:

What sort of extra-planar critters are introduced in the Forgotten Realms article?

Is the Weaver statted up in the Bas Lag material in Dragon?

Any chance of seeing more issues focused on a fantasy author's world? Like, maybe Steven Brust's Dragaera? Please? :D

Remove ads