Kickstarter Anyone supporting the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter

sheadunne

Explorer
I'm thinking about doing it but have limited experience with Dwarven Forge terrain. Do you think there's a significant difference between the Full Painted and the Gray modules? Is it worth the cost increase?

Opinions?

Riley

Legend
I will be supporting the Kickstarter, and I'll be upping for the full paint job.

Classic Dwarven Forge looks awesome in part because they paint it quite well.

Shag

Explorer
Once again shipping will prevent me from supporting. I'd be on twice as many KSers if the shipping wasn't so much. The one I hated to miss was the Brom art book, but shipping was like 70 bucks, I could drive to the factory from Canada and back for that much. I really think a lot of US KSers must really research shipping costs, there is no way a book should cost that much to ship. Also they should look at reducing shipping as a bonus goal.

PS People that are thinking of doing a KS should look at the reaper example. They did free shipping and look how it turned out for them.

sheadunne

Explorer
Once again shipping will prevent me from supporting. I'd be on twice as many KSers if the shipping wasn't so much. The one I hated to miss was the Brom art book, but shipping was like 70 bucks, I could drive to the factory from Canada and back for that much. I really think a lot of US KSers must really research shipping costs, there is no way a book should cost that much to ship. Also they should look at reducing shipping as a bonus goal.

PS People that are thinking of doing a KS should look at the reaper example. They did free shipping and look how it turned out for them.

I saw that, it was crazy expensive! I don't blame you for passing on it for that reason alone!

sheadunne

Explorer
I will be supporting the Kickstarter, and I'll be upping for the full paint job.

Classic Dwarven Forge looks awesome in part because they paint it quite well.

That's what I was thinking, but the cheap-scape in me keeps looking at the numbers. Then I look down at the pictures and change my mind back! :)

Stefan Pokorny

First Post

Hi there,
I'm really sorry for the shipping costs, unfortunately because of the weight of our products that is just what they cost to ship....we just can't lose money....please look back towards the end of the campaign, we may be able to double the quantity of what you order for the same price...thus, in a way, causing the shipping cost to be half...
Thanks for your consideration, please realize, we do not set the cost of shipping to other countries, we are just as upset as you are at these crazy prices...If you have a friend in the states, ship it to them and then maybe they can drive it over? One again, sorry my friend...
Stefan
CEO, Dwarven Forge

Shag

Explorer
I do understand, and I'm not hammering you guys, and I'm not pointing this kickstarter project out in specific. I'm in retail and I'm just thinking of it from a purely business point of view. I just don't understand how Reaper can do free shipping (and got 3.4 million dollars) and how other kickstarters don't see this and re-think charging for shipping. Lets say you charge shipping and get half a million out of KSer. Now what if you had not charged? Perhaps you would have gotten double or triple that amount. If you build in a big enough margin, you could just soak the shipping at a certain point. Perhaps this is a weakness of how KSer is currently set up. It would be cool to see a floating point shipping set up. IE: If our funding gets to X then shipping goes down by Y etc.
I really think a significant percentage of possible investors could be turned away unnecessarily. What if without shipping a kickstarter went over by a million or 2? At these numbers shipping costs become a much smaller percentage of overhead.
Like I said, being in retail, I would just love to see Reapers numbers on that kickstarter :) At a certain point in that project the money rolling in was probably very high gross profit.

Gryph

First Post
I'm supporting. I went with the Dark Grey base models. I own multiple sets of the original material products and the paint jobs are superb. I just couldn't resist spending extra support money for more sets rather than fewer, prettier sets :).

I got to meet Stefan, briefly, at Gary Con V and he is a really nice guy and committed gamer. I'd like to see this Kickstarter explode like the Reaper project did last year.

I hope you're prepared for a tidal wave of success, Stefan.

1upus

First Post
Planning to pledge. Just need to sort out at what level. On the one hand, the gamer in me wants to pledge as much as possible. But then, if the KS is a raging success, there is a chance that this would increase the ammount of stuff purchased and potentially result in my premature demise due to an irate wife who has already warned me off buying anymore gaming stuff :)

I am planning on getting the painted sets. Why? First up, I want the stuff to match my other DF collection as it currently stands. Secondly, I can't paint to save my life :) And more unpainted and unused stuff is going to hasten the above mentioned premature demise :)

As for shipping, unfortunately, I fully understand the cost of shipping of something like Dwarven Forge. The boxes themselves are not small, and the weight of the original product was quite considerable. So, the shipping is of no surprise. While this is not something I like, it is something that is acceptable. Paying $ 200 for 5 boxes makes a heck of a lot more sense than paying $ 30 or $ 70 for a single book, albeit a hardcover book. Like I said, the volume of the 5 boxes is likely to get the wrath of the other half descending upon my head, where else one hard cover is just going to get lost in my library :)

Stefan Pokorny

First Post
I do understand, and I'm not hammering you guys, and I'm not pointing this kickstarter project out in specific. I'm in retail and I'm just thinking of it from a purely business point of view. I just don't understand how Reaper can do free shipping (and got 3.4 million dollars) and how other kickstarters don't see this and re-think charging for shipping. Lets say you charge shipping and get half a million out of KSer. Now what if you had not charged? Perhaps you would have gotten double or triple that amount. If you build in a big enough margin, you could just soak the shipping at a certain point. Perhaps this is a weakness of how KSer is currently set up. It would be cool to see a floating point shipping set up. IE: If our funding gets to X then shipping goes down by Y etc.
I really think a significant percentage of possible investors could be turned away unnecessarily. What if without shipping a kickstarter went over by a million or 2? At these numbers shipping costs become a much smaller percentage of overhead.
Like I said, being in retail, I would just love to see Reapers numbers on that kickstarter :) At a certain point in that project the money rolling in was probably very high gross profit.

Well, the big difference between bones and ours is the enormous weight and size difference....our pieces are much bigger and much heavier....the heaviness is great when you are using them because they feel really high quality, like fine chess pieces...but shipping is a killer...have you ever encountered some of our resin pieces in real life? most folks are won over once they hold them and see the quality in real life...and now they are slightly 12% lighter, and indestructible....i wish i could get around the shipping cost but please understand there is nothing we can do about it, we are even absorbing some of the cost ourselves as we project that by the end we will be loading so many pieces for free into the deal...that's what we have to be careful of...many companies have done themselves in that way on kickstarter...hope you can understand that...thanks for listening:)

Remove ads