Kickstarter Anyone supporting the Dwarven Forge Kickstarter

Riley

Legend
Supporter
I'm listening.

One thing you could consider is, after reaching whatever level you need to turn a profit on the initial molds, you could create new pledge levels for different model pieces.

I certainly will be buying in - just as soon as I decide whether I want three or five of the base sets. And as soon as I double-check my Fun Money account balance.

However, you could get me to buy in at multiple levels if you were to offer pledge levels for passages, angled/curved walls, dungeon decor, and/or (especially) caverns. I really love your caverns.

EDIT: Just saw the angled walls you've added at the next fundraising goal. Nice!

Last edited:

sheadunne

Explorer
Well, the big difference between bones and ours is the enormous weight and size difference....our pieces are much bigger and much heavier....the heaviness is great when you are using them because they feel really high quality, like fine chess pieces...but shipping is a killer...have you ever encountered some of our resin pieces in real life? most folks are won over once they hold them and see the quality in real life...and now they are slightly 12% lighter, and indestructible....i wish i could get around the shipping cost but please understand there is nothing we can do about it, we are even absorbing some of the cost ourselves as we project that by the end we will be loading so many pieces for free into the deal...that's what we have to be careful of...many companies have done themselves in that way on kickstarter...hope you can understand that...thanks for listening:)

I appreciate you sticking with your costs, even if they make it more difficult for some people to get in on the kickstarter. I certainly don't want to see anyone get in over their head and risk the entire project. Shipping is just a crappy reality of life. I once sent a package to a friend in Hawaii and it cost more to ship than the price of the item. It's not the item's fault.

Anyway, I'm teetering between 3 fully painted and 5 grey. It's hard to make up my mind at this point. If it wasn't for the kickstarter I may never have made the decision to invest. They just look so cool and I've been drooling for some since I played with a set at a Con.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Yes, because I want to use Dwarven Forge stuff for all my dungeony layouts and I do not have enough stuff to do it right....yet. But when I do....ooohhh...my Geek Chic table was made for this!

mudbunny

Community Supporter
If I had an actual face to face group that met more than once every couple of months, I would be very tempted to do this. OF course, I would get it shipped to my brother-in-laws PO box just across the border so that I don't have to pay for the shipping.

thedmstrikes

Explorer
Back to the original poster's question, the difference for the paint job is your decision, but consider this: if you can not paint, then the painted ones will look so much better when they are sitting on your table and when it comes down to it, you are getting these because you want to have that representation or to just show them off. I have been collecting these things since they were first offered (and considerably cheaper both for the item and the shipping). I like them because I do not have to worry about their storage, they are stout enough to withstand crushing by accidental gamer, they do not fly off the table with errant throws of the dice, and I can wash them if they get something spilled on them and not lose any of the detail they represent. If I had any real painting skill at all, I would probably go for the cheaper versions and hope to give it a good lookalike paint job, but since I do not have steady hands, I am content to pay for the painting service so that my new pieces will match my existing ones. I hope these thoughts help you in your decision making.

Tortoise

First Post
I'm thinking about doing it but have limited experience with Dwarven Forge terrain. Do you think there's a significant difference between the Full Painted and the Gray modules? Is it worth the cost increase?

Opinions?

If you are just starting with it then the difference is simply one of which looks better to you. Functionally the unpainted work fine and will cost less once they are in regular production.

For someone that already has painted ones (like me) I want some of both so I can expand my painted collection and have the option to modify the unpainted to create some unique scenery.

sheadunne

Explorer
Back to the original poster's question, the difference for the paint job is your decision, but consider this: if you can not paint, then the painted ones will look so much better when they are sitting on your table and when it comes down to it, you are getting these because you want to have that representation or to just show them off. I have been collecting these things since they were first offered (and considerably cheaper both for the item and the shipping). I like them because I do not have to worry about their storage, they are stout enough to withstand crushing by accidental gamer, they do not fly off the table with errant throws of the dice, and I can wash them if they get something spilled on them and not lose any of the detail they represent. If I had any real painting skill at all, I would probably go for the cheaper versions and hope to give it a good lookalike paint job, but since I do not have steady hands, I am content to pay for the painting service so that my new pieces will match my existing ones. I hope these thoughts help you in your decision making.

That's part of it. My painting skills are weak and I don't have time to improve them. I think over time that the painted ones will bring me more enjoyment. The unpainted ones will nag at me for eternity and mock me for my lack of skill. :)

lawful_stupid

First Post
I have wanted Dwarven Forge for about a decade but could never come up with the cash for the 3-4 sets you would need to really build out a 3 encounter dungeon. My gaming group has pooled their cash to buy 5 sets! It will become the core of a great 3D terrain collection. We agonized a bit over paint or basic gray, but went with paint in the end. We have 3 great miniature painters in the group who were planning to sit down and knock out all of the drybrushing on the basic gray. However, we wanted our tiles to match the Master Maze stuff that we will undoubtedly buy in the future.

BTW, this Kickstarter was genius. You lowered the barrier to entry for all of the basic pieces. Now, a $100 set of cool, themed pieces seems reasonable, because we can add it to the 7 basic sets we will have after the stretch goals are factored in. I wonder how much Dwarven Forge sales are going to go up after this stuff ships in October.

Moorcrys

Explorer
I'm supporting.

I have a number of their sets and they are fantastic looking and very durable. And the customer service is top notch as well. A really great company all around. Kudos to them - I'm glad this kickstarter is turning out to be such a success.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
I've already allocated the money from my next paycheck to buy the 5-set painted ones. Unlike some of the other posters, my painting-fu is strong; drybrushing them would be no problem. I also own umpteen Hirst Art molds and can use those to make special features, etc to go with these wonderful "basic" tiles. However, I'm lazy, make good money and have a teenager who sucks up most of my free time, so the painted ones are the route for me! :p

Remove ads