D&D 5E Anyone Using Adventures in Middle Earth Journey/Rest Rules in Regular 5e Game?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Adventures in Middle Earth has a very interesting set of new mechanics for 5e, and one of them is the Journey mechanic. I could describe it, but @Ilbranteloth does it better than I could in another thread. So I hope he doesn't mind my quoting him to describe it.

I just picked up the 5e Adventures in Middle Earth Player's and Loremaster's Guides. They have a very interesting mechanic on Journeys that I think is right you your alley.

It's an official 5e book (by a publisher other than WotC), and an official Middle Earth book.

They actually have three different "phases" - the "Journey Phase," which has rules similar to what you want - no long rests on a journey, and they work in fatigue and character skills that have an impact on the beginning, middle and end of the journey, which than has an impact at the start of the "Adventuring Phase" which is regular D&D mode.

Typically one adventure occurs per year, and ends with a "Fellowship Phase" which is essentially an expanded concept of downtime (but much more involved).

The Journey Phase also shows how complex changing the rules can be. It's 12 pages long in the Player's Guide, with another 9 pages (primarily for creating your own Journey tables) in the Loremaster's Guide.

It seems clear to me that they are using concepts from other game systems as well, although I couldn't tell you which ones. [Editor - It's The One Ring game that they also publish]

The basic approach is that before the Embarkation step, you assign each character to one of four tasks. If more than one character is assigned to a specific task, the main character gets advantage on their checks. So if there is more than one scout, or hunter, it can help.

Then a peril rating is assigned to the journey by the GM, based primarily on the terrain (5 difficulty categories) on the map, and then a d12 is rolled, modified by the Guides's survival proficiency bonus and half their wisdom bonus, minus the peril rating (yes, there are a number of these sort of convoluted mechanics). Then you consult a table to see what happens. This sets a tone or mood for the journey, and usually includes a modifier for the next roll.

During the journey, you have a random number of events, with more events for longer journeys. Through the journey, any skill checks are made with a DC = 12 + the peril rating.

So you roll a d12 and consult a table of events. A long daunting journey can have up to 9 events. Modifiers from the embarkation roll, and prior events on this and other journeys modify these rolls.

The events are very vague ("A Chance Encounter" is a group of travelers for example, or "An Obstacle" or "Agents of the Enemy" are others). Agents of the Enemy is a decent example, because the look-out(s) might spot the enemy before they are aware of the party, creating a different sort of encounter than if they don't. There are also usually two random numbers, in this case "all rolls outside of combat are made with disadvantage/advantage if the embarkation roll was 3 or 10."

Remember there are no long rests, although non-magical healing is more powerful as well. In addition, a number of the encounters are adding levels of exhaustion (and things that happen in events/encounters can do that too).

After all this, there are modifiers carried over to the Arrival step, which eventually results in something like "Grimly Determined. The many leagues that the company has travelled have filled them with a sense of clear purpose regarding their goals, dark though the path ahead might be. As a result, the Guide will receive a +1 bonus to their next Embarkation roll," or "Arrival in Poor Spirits. They are beset by foul moods and short tempers that they must work hard to throw off. Each has disadvantage on all ability checks pertaining to social interaction, until such time as they succeed on one of those rolls. This penalty will apply if they seek an Audience (another new mechanic) at the destination. If there is a single upside to this dark mood, it is that they are so spoiling for a fight that each member of the company receives advantage to their Initiative rolls until they take a short rest."

There are a lot of really interesting ideas, and while I'm not sure I'll ever run the game itself, I'll certainly be using a lot of their ideas. The GM will need to be good at making up these tables, because with only 12 options things will get fairly repetitive. It is a very interesting way to design a game, and builds in a guaranteed differentiation between a journey and exploring a specific locale or dungeon (or interaction with the world with the Audience rules). The Fellowship Phase provides options for gaining some things without gaining a level too.

It is definitely much more prescriptive than D&D, in that a very specific feel and style of play is being promoted by the rules, and it does remind me of some of the Story Now games in that regard, although it's still very much a D&D base. Some of the mechanics feel a bit forced to me, but I can certainly see the appeal for many. I definitely recommend checking it out, overall I think it's really, really well done and will use a lot of ideas from it myself.

There is more to the resting rules than simply not being able to long rest during a Journey, as @I'm A Banana explains elsewhere.

Got my loremaster's PDF today, and so I figured it'd be a good opportunity to talk about all the cool ideas from the game - from either of the books!

No Long Rests in the Wilderness
AiME basically says you need three things for a long rest: safety from threat of an attack (so no long rest in an area with monsters where you need to post guards), comfort (so no long rest in a dank dungeon), and tranquility (an air of peace). A fourth requirement is that you can't long rest while on a journey. They point out that places to take a long rest might include an Elf camp in Mirkwood, a Dwarven hall, and, more interestingly, a place in the wilderness like an old Elf ruin or a nice campsite next to a bright river.

I love the focus on morale this provides, and how it explicitly links taking a long rest to being somewhere pleasant.

I really love these rules, but I've never played Adventures in Middle Earth. So I am curious what others have experienced with these Journey and also Resting rules, and whether anyone is using them in their regular 5e games? I think, with some adaptations, they could be run in any 5e game. And I think it would enhance my games at least to adopt them. But, before I go further down that road, I would like to hear other people's experiences with these rules.

The_Gneech

Explorer
By coincidence I just wrote a post on this topic yesterday. ( http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2662914.html for those interested.) My main problem with the Journey rules as written is how crunchy they are... rolls to modify rolls on top of other rolls.

Since things like the mood of the journey (as determined by the Embarkation Roll) are not something that will always be a factor, I am exploring the idea of simply adding them to my already-existing random encounter tables, which I generally check in 4-hour increments during overland travel. Thus, instead of "4d4 orcs" a random encounter might be "your group has gotten bogged down from encountering several frustrating dead-end canyons, causing you to lose an hour's progress."

I do think it's neat that the Journey rules basically treat an overland trip as a giant sort of meta-dungeon (hence only getting short rests unless you happen upon a great camping/stopping spot). Conceptually that's just cool.

-The Gneech :cool:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
By coincidence I just wrote a post on this topic yesterday. ( http://the-gneech.dreamwidth.org/2662914.html for those interested.) My main problem with the Journey rules as written is how crunchy they are... rolls to modify rolls on top of other rolls.

That's a really great blog entry you wrote there! I encourage others interested in this topic to check it out. A lot of good thoughts there, and some excellent options overviews.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Definitely some good food for thought there...

I did a campaign - well "part two" of a campaign that lasted a year and a half (over 3 years in-game time) where the parties traveled a good portion of the silk road and then reached the northern shores of Siberia (there was great need). I'm not sure I would recommend it as it's a bit of a railroady thing to do but I think some Journey rules could have been very handy for some portions.

P.S. On railroady - except the time they chose an alternate route and avoided 1/4 of the material... ah well :p

Ilbranteloth

Explorer

Since things like the mood of the journey (as determined by the Embarkation Roll) are not something that will always be a factor, I am exploring the idea of simply adding them to my already-existing random encounter tables, which I generally check in 4-hour increments during overland travel. Thus, instead of "4d4 orcs" a random encounter might be "your group has gotten bogged down from encountering several frustrating dead-end canyons, causing you to lose an hour's progress."

I do think it's neat that the Journey rules basically treat an overland trip as a giant sort of meta-dungeon (hence only getting short rests unless you happen upon a great camping/stopping spot). Conceptually that's just cool.

-The Gneech :cool:

Yeah, the Journey Rules and a few others use some odd dice math, although it's been a while since I looked at "The One Ring" so they might have been ported from there. Because the mechanics are a bit non-standard, it wasn't entirely clear to me what they were accomplishing at first. You kind of have to work through the whole process to follow their math.

They also pretty much require the DM to create new tables of options for each journey, or they will end up all feeling the same. I get that it's sort of the point - each Journey is unique and should be tailored for that particular Journey, but that puts a lot of pressure on the DM. If it were me, I might replace just the events that were used with a new one, leaving the unused ones for future Journeys and save a little work.

What it essentially boils down to is that it is just a more complex random encounter table, but where there are good and bad results, and whether something is good or bad is partially dependent upon the planning, skills, the results of the prior "phase" of the adventure, and the luck of the die.

It's sort of the travel montage approach with teeth - that the way the Journey progresses has an impact on what happens in the next "phase" of the game. And ultimately, I think that's the real benefit of their rules - that the Journey has an impact on what follows.

So overall I think the concept has merit, but could potentially have been built more closely around 5e mechanics.

Looking at the Embarkation roll I noted in my original post (thanks for bringing that over [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION]) is a d12 + the Guide's Survival proficiency bonus and 1/2 of their Wisdom bonus, minus the Peril Rating. A higher roll is better.

This could have been a simple Survival skill check, with each result assigned a DC, and a penalty due to the Peril Rating. Much less math for the same result. Furthermore, if it's just a skill check, then you don't really need to assign a role. The assumption being the one with the highest survival skill is the one making the check. This would apply to the other roles (which come into play in some of the results on the Journey rolls).

In addition, I'm not entirely clear on the math of this check. Normally your Survival proficiency bonus would include your Wisdom modifier. Does that mean it includes 1 1/2 times your Wisdom bonus? With a maximum Peril Rating of 5, that means that at 1st level you could conceivably have somebody with a +2 proficiency bonus +5 Wisdom bonus (maybe another +2 Wisdom bonus) and a maximum -5 Peril (not likely at first level). So that's a minimum of either a +2 or +4 to your Embarkation Roll, meaning that you cannot roll a 1 or 2 (which have entries on their table).

If the math is Proficiency bonus only, plus 1/2 of your Wisdom bonus, then you would have a +4, and conceivably have a -1 penalty to the roll with a Peril Rating of 5. This appears to be what they intend. If so, by 10th level you have a +4 proficiency, and a +2 (half) Wisdom bonus, or a +6. Again, with a -5 Peril rating you can get a 1. By 17th level, you have a potential for +9, so you can't get anything less than a 4. While this would be when you're traveling into the most dangerous scenarios. This is assuming you don't have a way to gain expertise in Survival. Of course, the Scholar can get that at 2nd level.

In which case (assuming a 20 Wisdom):

1st level: +2 proficiency, +2 expertise, +2 Wisdom for +6, Peril -5, minimum roll 1 (one point of shadow corruption and other bad stuff)
10th level: +4 +4 +2 -5 = minimum roll 5 (one extra level of exhaustion)
17th level: +6 +6 +2 -5 = minimum roll 9 (All terrain is one grade easier - no negative effect at all).

So my approach would be entirely different:

Ilbranteloth's 5e Version of Embarkation Roll
You (most likely the character with the highest score, possibly with help granting advantage) would make a Survival check against the Peril Rating (the usual DC table, the five steps from Easy to Nearly Impossible).

Success: Advantage on your Embarkation roll.
Failure: Standard Embarkation roll (1d12).
Failure by 5 or more: Disadvantage on your Embarkation roll.

Simple, and uses existing 5e mechanics. I might also expand the Embarkation table to 20 entries and just use a d20 instead of a d12, but it's really not that important.

You also wouldn't need to assign roles. I get that they are trying to add some flavor by assigning roles, but it seems like a pretty hefty restriction in light of the "anybody can try anything" approach of 5e and I think it's really kind of unnecessary.

Other Journey Rules
They reverse the process for the Journey events. Now a lower roll is better, and easy terrain gives you a -1 (bonus) on the roll, and daunting terrain is a +2 penalty (I do like having more than just normal and difficult terrain, a la AD&D). Strangely, an 10 on the Embarkation table (Hidden from the Shadow) gives you a +1 to rolls on the Journey Events table, and a 12 (From Auspicious Beginnings) gives you a +2. In both cases they imply this is a benefit. I think they got confused by their own math and the lower is better organization is a mistake.

The Arrival table once again assumes higher is better. Not all results have numerical bonuses, but since you have multiple encounters the overall result will probably skew towards no final modifier. But in the spirit of 5e, I'd probably replace those modifiers with advantage/disadvantage on the next roll. In most cases you'll probably cancel out either. But if you have a good roll on the Embarkation table, then you're more likely to roll higher on the Journey Event table with advantage, giving you a higher likelihood of a good result for the Arrival table. Numerical modifiers (+1 here, +2 there, -1 there), will have less of an impact on the later results, though.

So reverse the order of the Journey Events table, and anyplace where it gives a bonus for the next roll, give advantage, and a penalty disadvantage. If the first encounter grants advantage, and the second cancels it, then it's a fresh start for the third one, which can grant advantage or disadvantage.

Overall I still highly recommend checking it out. The rules work as is, but might not scale as well at higher levels, based on the math like that above. But like 5e itself, it's easy to modify.

Find a store that carries it and skim through a bit. If you're looking for alternate resting rules in particular, and overland travel, there's a lot here. I suspect that those that like to tweak (like me) will use it more as inspiration for a simplified system. The other thing it does really, really well is maintain the feel of Middle Earth through the ruleset. If you want a (very) low magic world, under the shadow of a great evil, and dark ages technology (no plate armor, for example), it would be a piece of cake to use this without running it as Middle Earth.

They just released their first adventure for it (that comes with the DM screen), and I'll probably pick it up. I'd like to see their full implementation of the system in a scenario to see how it works. I might even run it at the local game store, I like the way it holds together that much.

"No Long Rests in the Wilderness"

And thus the barbarian hordes lost the war.

"I dunno, chief, I was filled with battlelust before we marched, but after a couple skirmishes, I really feel like I need some peace and tranquility to get my rage back. I can't get a good night's sleep with all these guards around, and my tent is soooo uncomfortable."

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers

"I dunno, chief, I was filled with battlelust before we marched, but after a couple skirmishes, I really feel like I need some peace and tranquility to get my rage back. I can't get a good night's sleep with all these guards around, and my tent is soooo uncomfortable."

LOL.

Of course, the actual rules do allow the Loremaster to let the heroes get a long rest whenever they have reasonable safety. So if you feel safe in the middle of a barbarian horde, you can take a long rest.

Ratskinner

Adventurer

Sounds like justification for a good modification of the Outlander Background under this rule.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm currently re-reading the Lord of The Rings (man, this takes me back. I was 14 years old when I first read that scene where Gandalf faced the Balrog. Blew me away!) and well... has anyone used the game itself to run a Middle-Earth game? Does the 5e version work?

Remove ads