• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone want to review War of the Burning Sky?

It's been more than a month since the first adventure was released, and I'm eager to get some informed critique and commentary. Sending out review copies didn't elicit any reviews, so would someone who has the adventure be willing to write a review please?

Thanks in advance.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Yes, as a potential purchaser I'd like to know if it's any good. I'm surprised there's been little to no mention of it on these boards, not even a "seems good/bad so far".

Dr Simon said:
Yes, as a potential purchaser I'd like to know if it's any good. I'm surprised there's been little to no mention of it on these boards, not even a "seems good/bad so far".
Seems great so far. Very inventive.

I'd like to do a review, but I want it to be a playtest review and the campaign won't be starting for a while yet.

brehobit

Explorer
You send me a copy, I'll review it. I enjoy reading adventures way too much... Review will probably take a week though.

Mark

Vanuslux

Explorer
There. I've submitted my review of the Scouring of Gate Pass. That should at least give those thinking about running it something to go on as to whether this adventure is for them. I certainly look forward to starting to run it this Sunday.

Vanuslux said:
There. I've submitted my review of the Scouring of Gate Pass. That should at least give those thinking about running it something to go on as to whether this adventure is for them. I certainly look forward to starting to run it this Sunday.

Thanks for the review.

In response to some of your comments:

You make a good point about the combat appendix. I'll own up to just being too lazy at the time to type up all the stats. I'll make sure to include full combat stats in the appendices of future adventures.

The encounter with Shealis at Gabal's school could have used a map, but since we were trying to conserve our budget and because hopefully it shouldn't become a combat encounter, I didn't think it was necessary. Diogenes also should warn the heroes that Shealis is a skilled evoker. Mostly the encounter was intended to promote a resolution other than simply attacking her. Trick her, ambush her, negotiate, whatever - just don't try to go toe to toe. Even then, 5d6 usually won't kill most PCs, even at 1st level. It'll drop them, but it averages to 14 damage if they don't save. And Shealis herself doesn't have a lot of hit points to stand up to an entire party herself.

The townsfolk beat up the half-orc woman because Ragesia has a lot of orcs and half-orcs, and riotous violence doesn't need much logic.

I hope you'll find that the roleplaying encounters and problem solving (i.e., how do we get out?) in act 3 are entertaining enough to make up for the lack of great action.

Y'know, it completely never occurred to me that the PCs might just ride past a farmhouse at the edge of a fire forest and not stop to chat or rest.

Again, thanks for the comments. I'll bear them in mind for future installments, whether I'm writing or revising them.

Remove ads