AoO with range and intimidation

peterka1

First Post
I allow players AoO with ready range weapons (quite rare). Fast draw only apply for thrown weapons.

I consider a charging character quite intimiding. Do you think a character may try to intimidate opponents in order not no be shooted in the process ?

Free action or partial (charge is supposed to be full action) ?

Dougal DeKree

First Post
Intimidating charge...ahem.

Hi!

I would rule a big NO.

Just imagine you were the guy with the missile weapon and there are some fighters charging up to your position and one of them looks particularly frightening - which guy would you choose to shoot at? Right, the dangerous one. So i think Intimidation (which usually has to do with social interaction anyways) is the wrong type of maneuver in this case. I would recommend to run faster, so the time your fighter is being shot at is shorter...

Dougal DeKree, Gnomish Illusionist

milo

First Post
I think allowing AoO's with a ranged weapon is unbalancing and makes ranged weapons alot better than melee weapons. An archer normally has a good dex and would probably take the combat reflexes feat to give him as many as five for the archer in our group. Are these AoO's allowed any where in range or within thirty feet, are they allowed on any move that draws an AoO or just a charge action against the archer. That being said no I would not allow the intimidation to prevent the AoO. Although it would make intimidation a skill that is worth taking.

kolvar

First Post
Re: Intimidating charge...ahem.

Dougal DeKree said:
Hi!

I would rule a big NO.

Just imagine you were the guy with the missile weapon and there are some fighters charging up to your position and one of them looks particularly frightening - which guy would you choose to shoot at? Right, the dangerous one. So i think Intimidation (which usually has to do with social interaction anyways) is the wrong type of maneuver in this case. I would recommend to run faster, so the time your fighter is being shot at is shorter...

Dougal DeKree, Gnomish Illusionist

If I was one of those fighters charging, I would reccomend running slower, that the others would draw the shots (at least under D&D rules) (g)

peterka1

First Post
(REPLY TO MILO)

I think allowing AoO's with a ranged weapon is unbalancing and makes ranged weapons alot better than melee weapons. An archer normally has a good dex and would probably take the combat reflexes feat to give him as many as five for the archer in our group

Of course, combat reflexes can't be used here. :) It takes time to aim and It's not fair to shot opponents 10 times a round just because you have high dex, combat reflexes and extra attacks.

Please don't forget I said AoO with READIED weapons (arrows, knives, etc.); with ranged weapons, it means only one shot. Fast draw is to apply before the AoO.

Anyway, I you want to use combat reflexes, unless somebody allows a fast draw/fast load combinaison for missile weapons, you would have only xtra AoO with throwing weapons and few players have a lot of throwing weapons to use. ;)

Remove ads