• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Apparently an FR fan that also happens to be an investor asked CEO Cox a gew questions.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
A typo! Ghast! Disgusting! What is this person?!! He made a typo??? AAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ah, yes. When I mean to hit the s but hit the d it's a typo.

This is a reason to doubt the anon redditor's story, because it's repeated frequently, as if the person who owns stock and shows up to the event has no clue who the CEO of the company is despite them being on stage for three years.

Ah, yes. When I mean to hit the s but hit the d it's a typo.

This is a reason to doubt the anon redditor's story, because it's repeated frequently, as if the person who owns stock and shows up to the event has no clue who the CEO of the company is despite them being on stage for three years.
There's a thousand reasons that forgetfulness can exist, including everything ADHD to life stress to just being flat out bad with names.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
At this point the CFO jumped in to point out that literally nobody else in the meeting understood a word of what we were talking about (6 or 7 people in total i think) and there was a good laugh.
This is of course unsurprising, but saddening regardless. The people most catered to by the company couldn't care less about the actual products they're making.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ironic answer:
We could have some type of type of voting system where everyone can approve or disapprove things. Enworlders could get large questionaries where they can submit their preferences. Then we could measure it all and average it all out.

Answer in the form of a video:
I’m a trained mediator.

Getting a few people to compromise- especially on as representatives of larger groups- is difficult enough. Getting thousands or millions- each with a say- to agree would be nightmare fuel.

This is of course unsurprising, but saddening regardless. The people most catered to by the company couldn't care less about the actual products they're making.

I understand where you're coming from with this. We all want the leaders of the company to care about the same parts of the product we care about. But...

First, the person who said this was the CFO. As in, the top accountant who crunches the numbers. As much as you need creative types who love the product, companies also really need someone to reign them in and not make bad choices based on what they personally like. That person, at the highest level, is the CFO. You want a CFO who can manage things like health care costs, real estate investments, and international finance deals. If there's one person in the C-suite who really doesn't need to know jack about the product, it's the CFO. You want your CFO to listen to the creative types (just like they need to listen to HR, manufacturing, the CTO, etc) and understand the financial side of the markets. But they don't need to have the product knowledge themselves. In some cases, it can even be helpful for them to be emotionally removed for certain hard decisions.

Second, jargon is hard. We've had lots of talk on the boards about how jargon can be gatekeeping, and getting into a discussion with a ton of names and terms from inside the Forgotten Realms is going to be hard for lots of people to parse. Honestly, I've played D&D for decades and I couldn't tell you jack about the geography of the Realms, so once the conversation got into Eastern vs Western, I'd be lost, too.

And finally, along those same lines, Kara-Tur is a pretty deep cut. It's hasn't gotten it's own book since the TSR days. It's not a major current part of, well, anything. When WotC last re-did their eastern setting, it was Rokugan/Oriental Adventures, and even that was ~20 years ago.

So, yeah, it's great that the CEO can talk about this kind of stuff. But being sad that the CFO couldn't follow the conversation is like being sad that an accountant at GM knows nothing about how the change the oil on your Chevelle. That doesn't translate to "the company couldn't care less about the actual products they're making."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads