• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Apple users: Would you buy Hero Lab if it ran on Mac OS?

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
OK, I'm sold. If you make a Mac Port, I'll probably buy it. If your spell sheets are easy to organize and provide important details and descriptions, I'll definitely buy. I'm in desparate need of a good mac-compatible spell sheet program.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Lets just say I'm strongly inclined to buy such a thing. Despite the option of doing so, I've almost never run a PC emulation program of any kind. I just don't care for them, and I (so far) have had no need to do so.

When I use software for PC design, I usually make an idiosyncratic spreadsheet for each system. So I have one for HERO, one for 2Ed D&D, etc.

Having one program that covers a lot of ground- especially without me having to figure out cell formulae- would be nice. And from what I can see, the program looks slick and well-polished.

However, I'm a bit unclear on whether something produced on the PC version would work/be readable on the Mac version, and vice versa. For me, that would be crucial, though not required, functionality. After all, even though my spreadsheets aren't visually appealing, they done in dual-platform software so files can be freely shared.

And, FWIW, I'd love to see you add HERO 5th (and 6th) to your supported list of games. IME, if ever a game benefited from having a PCgen spreadsheet, it was HERO.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(Oh yeah- for the record, I'm currently running OS 10.2.8 on a G3 I bought in 2003, but I'm planning on upgrading my entire system within a few months.)

Rackhir

Explorer
(Oh yeah- for the record, I'm currently running OS 10.2.8 on a G3 I bought in 2003, but I'm planning on upgrading my entire system within a few months.)

You would not be able to use it on your current machine. You need at least an intel mac to be able to use what they are planning on using to enable mac compatability.

WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) essentially "maps" what would be windows system calls to the equivalent in the "native" operating system. AFAIK, this requires the basic hardware architecture to be the same otherwise you would need a full fledged emulation package.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Oh I know I couldn't run it right now.

In fact, the growing number of software packages I want to run + the number of websites that no longer support versions of software I currently use is making me upgrade pretty soon.

Scorponok

First Post
However, I'm a bit unclear on whether something produced on the PC version would work/be readable on the Mac version, and vice versa. For me, that would be crucial, though not required, functionality. After all, even though my spreadsheets aren't visually appealing, they done in dual-platform software so files can be freely shared.

Think of Hero Lab as just another application, like Excel or Word. Data files and saved heroes will load into any version of Hero Lab, regardless of whether that version is running on the Mac or the PC. You'll be able to save a hero on the mac, load it on the PC, and vice versa.

And, FWIW, I'd love to see you add HERO 5th (and 6th) to your supported list of games. IME, if ever a game benefited from having a PCgen spreadsheet, it was HERO.

Hero System already has its own character creator, so we have no plans to support it in the near future.

Rackhir

Explorer
Oh I know I couldn't run it right now.

In fact, the growing number of software packages I want to run + the number of websites that no longer support versions of software I currently use is making me upgrade pretty soon.

BTW you know it is possible to build a mac out of standard PC parts (or even use a standard PC). Google "Hackintosh" and you'll turn up a bunch of sites/guides for doing it.

This is the one I've used. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=82

Not for the faint of heart or those who want a completely hassle free experience, though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads