Applying Half-dragon template to human fighter?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Axiomatic Unicorn said:
There is no precedent that I know if. And I would agree with you that it is silly to make this kind of change for a template.

But, that is what they did.

I agree. Why didn't they just increase con by another +2? :)

Wolf72

Explorer
email away

sent out email ...

another example would be the Vampire (brought up earlier in this thread) whose HD changes to a d12 as well ... the example in the MM is of a human fighter. It now has 5d12 hp instead of 5d10.

kobolds ... why didn't they just give kobolds a -2 or -4 to con instead of 1/2 a HD??? ... or give it a modifier (Lil guy: you recieve normal HD x .5) (sorry OT)

[edit: saw your other posts spikey Freak ... there seem to be a lot of sheep on the other boards]

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
The MM doesn't give a clear indication, but I think it would increase the class HD size as well as the monster HD size.

In 3e "monster levels" are generally equivalent to "class levels", and combine to create your "Character level".

Also, the Dragon Disciple from Tome and Blood increases it's HD size every few levels.

This isn't an exact match, but it's similar enough to provide some support for the position.

Wolf72

Explorer
bump!

also if you treat monster HD as class HD then it makes sense all the way around ...

precedent: skill points (not a strong one mind you)

Gromm

First Post
Wolf72 said:
the template doesn't saying anything about race/class ... simply the HD type is increased by one (to a max of d12 ... why the DMG adds in +1hp for barbarians, I'm not sure)

The way I read it, barbarians don't get anything. The +1hp per level refers the average hps for the templated NPCs in the DMG (who get avg hit points and with a higher die type get +1 hp per level... all save the barbarian who gets nothing).

Reread it again, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on it. Its just a matter of confusion between the sections where the info is.

Wolf72

Explorer
huh?

Gromm said:

The way I read it, barbarians don't get anything. The +1hp per level refers the average hps for the templated NPCs in the DMG (who get avg hit points and with a higher die type get +1 hp per level... all save the barbarian who gets nothing).

Reread it again, but I'm pretty sure I'm right on it. Its just a matter of confusion between the sections where the info is.

whoa, that is a confusing passage:
[qoute] DMG p58. ...(for all but the barbarian, add +1 hp/level +1 additional point). ...[/qoute]

house rule time: if your hd is d12 already you gain NADA!!! :D

Gromm

First Post
Re: huh?

Wolf72 said:

whoa, that is a confusing passage:
[qoute] DMG p58. ...(for all but the barbarian, add +1 hp/level +1 additional point). ...[/qoute]

house rule time: if your hd is d12 already you gain NADA!!! :D

Thats what was intended. The +1 additional point makes up for your first level.

For example at 2nd level a mage has say 6 hps (4 first level + 2 avg for second level).
A half dragon mage gets 6 + 1 per level (2) +1 additional=9hp. Which if you look at a rogue with no Con bonus would also be 9hp (6 first level + 3 avg).

A barb, by the book gets nothing (since he already has the highest hitdie type). So don't make half dragon barbarians, make fighters I guess.

Remove ads