D&D 5E Applying Psionic Talent Dice to other classes

Undrave

Legend
How do you guys think they could apply the Psy Dice concept to other classes?

I kinda want a Psionic Barbarian that has a contagious rage! Like, they could make it so creatures next to them can't do anything but make melee attacks or something, so it would deny enemies their more fancy actions and even the disengage action, but they could also make it useful for allies by granting them the Psy Dice as a damage bonus. And of course you could give them a way to trade down their Psy dice for better saving throws maybe. Maybe a way to roll the Psy dice to get Temp HP as a bonus action?

Could be fun.

I have trouble imagining them applying the Psionic talent dice to Ranger, Druid, Cleric or Palladin as its own subclass, but I guess you could do it with Bard or maybe try again with the Wizard? Maybe a Technomancer Artificer could be a thing?

ehenning

Explorer
How do you guys think they could apply the Psy Dice concept to other classes?

I kinda want a Psionic Barbarian that has a contagious rage! Like, they could make it so creatures next to them can't do anything but make melee attacks or something, so it would deny enemies their more fancy actions and even the disengage action, but they could also make it useful for allies by granting them the Psy Dice as a damage bonus. And of course you could give them a way to trade down their Psy dice for better saving throws maybe. Maybe a way to roll the Psy dice to get Temp HP as a bonus action?

Could be fun.

I have trouble imagining them applying the Psionic talent dice to Ranger, Druid, Cleric or Palladin as its own subclass, but I guess you could do it with Bard or maybe try again with the Wizard? Maybe a Technomancer Artificer could be a thing?

This sounds like an excellent idea for a new Barbarian Path. Will need to think about where in their level progression these features would happen. Also, as mentioned by another comment, need to be careful to not just copy another classes features too much.

G

Guest 6801328

I tried this exercise as well, and really struggled with everything except barbarian and monk.

Well, I guess I struggled with barbarian, too. But like you I just like the idea of a psionic barbarian.

I guess I could see a Paladin with equivalent of sense thoughts, detect lie, hold person, command, etc.

Undrave

Legend
I tried this exercise as well, and really struggled with everything except barbarian and monk.

Well, I guess I struggled with barbarian, too. But like you I just like the idea of a psionic barbarian.

I guess I could see a Paladin with equivalent of sense thoughts, detect lie, hold person, command, etc.

If you make the Barbarian essentially a fountain of raw emotion it could work. the Psionic class had what...three ways to use their Psy Dice? I'd give him one that work only while raging (the contagious rage thing), one that buffs damage like the Fighter and one where you can give yourself a bonus to a saving throw equal to your dice roll. I'd add the note that when you are raging you can willingly max out your Psy dice roll (basically burn out on purpose), that would be thematic.

For out of combat stuff I'd make maybe a aura that makes people less likely to hide their true feeling so they get disadvantage on deception checks! And then later add an ability to grant yourself Temp HP based on your Psy Dice roll and maybe Psychic damage resistance?

Standard stuff.

Monk I feel is almost redundant... You already got Ki after all. Maybe a Psionic monk could lower his max dice to recover Ki points, but then use Ki points to bump up his max dice? Basically constantly balancing powers between the Mind and the Body?

Sure I could see a Paladin with those psionic power but I find it hard to wrap it up properly into an Oath, or even a Cleric's domain (Logic Domain? Mind Domain?). Feels more like a Paladin who picked up Wild Talents.

I guess a Ranger or Druid who is specializing in hunting Lovecraftian invaders from the Far Realms to the Natural Plane could make use of Psionic powers to fight fire with fire but I'm not sure how that would translate mechanically... Circle of the Gate?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

We've already seen Wizard, Rogue, Fighter and Sorcerer. I'm sure we can figure out something for each class if we put our minds to it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If you make the Barbarian essentially a fountain of raw emotion it could work. the Psionic class had what...three ways to use their Psy Dice? I'd give him one that work only while raging (the contagious rage thing), one that buffs damage like the Fighter and one where you can give yourself a bonus to a saving throw equal to your dice roll. I'd add the note that when you are raging you can willingly max out your Psy dice roll (basically burn out on purpose), that would be thematic.

For out of combat stuff I'd make maybe a aura that makes people less likely to hide their true feeling so they get disadvantage on deception checks! And then later add an ability to grant yourself Temp HP based on your Psy Dice roll and maybe Psychic damage resistance?

Standard stuff.

Monk I feel is almost redundant... You already got Ki after all. Maybe a Psionic monk could lower his max dice to recover Ki points, but then use Ki points to bump up his max dice? Basically constantly balancing powers between the Mind and the Body?

Sure I could see a Paladin with those psionic power but I find it hard to wrap it up properly into an Oath, or even a Cleric's domain (Logic Domain? Mind Domain?). Feels more like a Paladin who picked up Wild Talents.

I guess a Ranger or Druid who is specializing in hunting Lovecraftian invaders from the Far Realms to the Natural Plane could make use of Psionic powers to fight fire with fire but I'm not sure how that would translate mechanically... Circle of the Gate?
I don't think hunting should be the focus for psionic nature subclasses. Perhaps a druid that uses his die to be able to change into some shapes from the Far Realms or something. Things like that.

Remove ads