• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Applying Psionic Talent Dice to other classes

Why? The psionic die is for psionic subclasses of non-psionic classes, like Fighter, Rogue, etc. Coming up with a psionic subclass for Barbarians IS keeping it for psionics.
If the mechanic is very popular and efficient, it will be temping to use it for none psionic power.
like Faith dice, Luck dice, Spirit dice, Ki dice.
it can be interesting to do the math of a battle master if we replace the usual manœuvre dice with a psionic dice mechanic.

J-H

Hero
If the mechanic is very popular and efficient, it will be temping to use it for none psionic power.
it can be interesting to do the math of a battle master if we replace the usual manœuvre dice with a psionic dice mechanic.
I was surprised this thread made it to page 2 before someone recommended it for Battlemaster.

ccooke

Adventurer

I had a look at this. Basically, the PTD provides more common uses with less powerful effects, or more powerful effects at the cost of future power.

(Basically - you are going to be able to use the PTD more often in an adventuring day, but the Battlemaster superiority dice will almost always provide more total power. The bigger PTD effects reduce your die size, so the magnitude of your power output for the day drops when using them. It's actually a lot more balanced than I expected - if you take the Psi Knight add-PTD-to-damage effect and compare with the Battlemaster effects which also add their die to damage, the Psi Knight can (by around level 5) use their die almost every round, almost every day. If they do, they get slightly more damage, but they will probably also be using the die for other things (while Superiority dice that do damage also do something else), so it's going to come out looking really quite similar in terms of potential output.)

Paladin of Truth.
Strives to act logically, without letting emotion cloud their judgement.
Promotes clear-headedness and thoughtfulness in others.
Opposes those that lie, try to play on or cause emotions or confusion in others to benefit themselves.
Actively fights creatures that induce or like to create insanity.

Aura has Calm Emotions effect.
Psi-die to saves against emotion, confusion, or insanity effects.
Bonus ti Intelligence and some Wisdom ability checks?
My idea for a Psionic Paladin is almost the exact opposite of that concept, a biased toward Chaotic Neutral "oath" where they perceive reality different from everyone else in what might be a constant hallucination, possibly from mental illness and trauma or by seeing an underlying truth to reality after being touched by something from beyond reality. Their reality could be a fantasy of their own, or something nightmarish, or maybe they see loved ones they lost and are convinced they're still alive. They try to convince others their perceptions are true. They get abilties and spells that cause insanity, confusion and illusions. Some can be driven to heroism by their delusions, but others are just dangerous and unstable.

Psionic Bard would be called the College of Ardor, which is where the word "Ardent" comes from. While the psi die doesn't completely match the Bardic Inspiration die, I feel that there could be some sort of interplay there. Or maybe they just use the Bardic Inspiration die to do psionic things. They should be mostly focused down the emotional manipulation path that previous Ardents had.

For any sort of secondary caster (eldritch knight, paladin, etc.) I could see replacing set spell slots with a dice mechanism. You roll the die, and you can cast a spell of level equal to or lower than the number you roll (maybe treat cantrips as 1, 1st level spells as 2, etc. for eldritch knights and arcane spell thieves). Since bigger dice would average higher numbers, you get "tired out" magically even if you didn't get a good number. Of course, you would still have to learn the spells, so a guy who only knows 2nd level (and down) spells isn't getting much for rolling a 4.

Indeed we can imagine the Monk, the Warlock, the BM using a similar psionic dice mechanic.
I wonder the effect on game play if there were no more short rest classes because they use instead dice mechanic.

Remove ads