D&D 5E Arcane Domain

Baumi

Adventurer
I cannot wrap my mind around Arcane Domain Clerics. Why would a follower of Mystra (or other God of Magic) become a Cleric instead of Wizard?

Baumi

Adventurer
I don't think that's the same. A War Cleric is a great supporter of WAR, where not only Fighters are needed, but also those men who motivates the troups, bless their Weapons, heal the wounded and pray for the dead (and still fighting side by side with the pure Fighters).

Thats also the same with Life, Nature, etc. where they have the role of supporters of a big group of people (like farmers).

But Wizards are not that many and they don't need Clerical support. The best Support a Wizard can get is another Wizard that helps to increase the mystical knowledge and uncover Secrets and Spells.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I cannot wrap my mind around Arcane Domain Clerics. Why would a follower of Mystra (or other God of Magic) become a Cleric instead of Wizard?
If you have a high WIS and lower INT (all sense and no brains) you might not find a willing wizard to apprentice to, while the clergy sees potential in you. Or you might simply feel a calling, like other would-be Clerics. You might have been drawn to a deity based on another aspect of their portfolio, but discover an interest in the arcane during your initiation. You might have been 'chosen' by the deity or even just been a temple foundling.

Have you ever heard of "those who can't do, coach." It may represent a character who knows his/her limitations: great faith, but no scholarly aptitude. Mystra might have been the most popular goddess in the character's home town--look how rabid fans of college/professional sports get, and few of them have ever played at that level. He/she might also have an Ebberon-like vision for what the Realms could be if every kid who had an aptitude for magic had the chance to study it......

Isn't Mystra the goddess of ALL magic? Not just wizardly magic, but everything that is magical? Clerics are as magical as wizards!

Baumi

Adventurer
Ah, that low Int/hight Wis angle makes perfect sense. So they are too dumb to learn true Wizard spells, but their fascination of all things Arcane makes them great supporters for those with real powers (tedious Research, looking for new Artefacts/Books, calm the angry mobs,..) and the Gods award those dedicated ones with "simpler" magic (while their clerical duties force them to help out).

Waterbizkit

Explorer
Because the worship of a deity, and more specifically, dedicating your life to that deity is different than being a someone practices a trade or skill related to the deity's "portfolio". Not every farmer is going to be a Cleric of your campaigns deity of growth and harvest just as every Cleric of that deity may not be a farmer themselves. It's a shaky analogy, but I think you get the point. Putting too much emphasis on "why wouldn't they do this other thing related to their deity instead."

To be fair you mentioned the need for support structures for the worshipers of other deities, but then went on to assume the worshipers of a deity of arcane power would need no such structure, and I disagree with that. Most deities are going to have some kind tenants and places of worship and that will inevitably entail a clergy of some form or another. Within that clergy there's no reason there wouldn't be fully fledged Clerics of the deity, remembering of course there is a difference between a simple priest and someone with actual Cleric levels.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be critical here and I'm posting from my phone so likely making a mess of what I'm trying to get across. I guess in the simplest terms I just disagree with your assertion that a deity of the arcane wouldn't have a support structure that included wielders of their divine power.

Bob_no_Oni

First Post
I also have to point out, that unless it has changed, one of the strongest followers and wizards for Mystra started his life as a Clerical follower of her. As such, even the great Elminster has some clerical ability.

Gods need their clerics to provide services to their followers. When one of Mystra's wizardly followers goes astray and wants to atone for his misdeeds, who does he go to? What if two wizards who follow Mystra want to get married? Who reads their last rites when they die and gives them a proper burial so they don't become undead? (Kinda important for high-powered wizards, come to think of it.)

The list goes on and on.

Remove ads