• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Legions

Madshadow

First Post
Here is a shot of painted figures on demo bases that we took for some print advertising. Most of the common figures in this photo have been painted, though they will come unpainted (with deco prints on shields and banners) in the Army Packs. The other figures are the actual paint quality you will see in Booster Packs.

FieldShot.jpg

Madshadow

First Post
Somehow I want to call you "The Chase", you almost appearing to be the Wells Expedition equivalent to WotC Brand Manager Scott Rouse on this board. But maybe that's just me. ;)

What do you call Scott??

It's a small world.
I know Scott quite well.
I have worked with him, and actually FOR him for a brief time.
Though we live 500 miles apart he has stopped by my house en route to hunting fields in Eastern Montana.

The whole game manufacturing business can be pretty incestuous :)

Mark

Madshadow

First Post
Demo Rules posted / demo kits available

Hey guys, the Chase here :)

Origins was a success for us. We demo'ed the game all weekend long and got a lot of great feedback:

http://www.robotviking.com/2009/06/arcane-legions-could-be-a-game-changer/

DSC_0569_mod.jpg

I have posted the demo rules at:
http://www.arcanelegions.com/news1.html

If you are interested in playing the demo game contact your LGS and have them request a free copy of the Arcane Legions demo from their distributor.

We are now getting ready for GenCon, where we will debut the finished product and have a limited quantity for sale. The actual release date is September 30th.

Thanks for lookin!

Mark

JoeGKushner

First Post
What type of collectibility are we looking at? Something like ole Mage Knight with high levels of variety or something simple like WoTC?

In some ways, as a miniature collector first, the size baffles me. 25mm, while not 'dead', is not the standard used by most companies which are going larger, 28-32. Not a huge problem with the monsters in most cases but...

Well, I guess I'm having a 'flashback' to Dreamblade where WotC essentially spit in the face of the D&D players who might have wanted to use the miniatures with their D&D games by making the figures somewhat incompatible in scale and massively incompatible with the bases which required too much work from the typical buyer.

Not saying that this game will suffer that effect but if one of the periphial miniature buyers you're looking for is the casual gamer, I'm not seeing 25mm as the way to go these days.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
In some ways, as a miniature collector first, the size baffles me. 25mm, while not 'dead', is not the standard used by most companies which are going larger, 28-32. Not a huge problem with the monsters in most cases but...

Well, I guess I'm having a 'flashback' to MageKnight where WotC essentially spit in the face of the D&D players who might have wanted to use the miniatures with their D&D games by making the figures somewhat incompatible in scale and massively incompatible with the bases which required too much work from the typical buyer.

I think you meant "WizKids", not WotC, as WizKids made Mage Knight.

Question: weren't Mage Knight (and HeroClix) larger scale, something in the 28-32mm scale you mentioned as being the standard? In other words, I think MK was in the scale you're suggesting in one paragraph, but then you bash them for that in the next.

WizKids' bases were indeed too large to fit in a 1" square, however, which does make them tougher to use with such a grid.

I think more of a problem with using MK figures for D&D is that MK figs didn't really match the look of D&D characters, races, or monsters, in many cases (based on the MK figures I have, anyways). There are a few that fit, but MK figures seem more . . . baroque to me.

Edit: BTW, I look forward to checking out Arcane Legions when it gets to FLGS. (No Gen Con for me this year.)

Last edited:

JoeGKushner

First Post
I meant Dreamblade from WoTC, which is a 28+ size fig on essentially large sized bases. The. Size of the figs id good but the bases make them near useless fpor casual buyers.

Madshadow

First Post
What type of collectibility are we looking at? Something like ole Mage Knight with high levels of variety or something simple like WoTC?

Well, I guess I'm having a 'flashback' to Dreamblade where WotC essentially spit in the face of the D&D players who might have wanted to use the miniatures with their D&D games by making the figures somewhat incompatible in scale and massively incompatible with the bases which required too much work from the typical buyer.

Not saying that this game will suffer that effect but if one of the periphial miniature buyers you're looking for is the casual gamer, I'm not seeing 25mm as the way to go these days.

Hi Joe,

Going with 25mm figures is one of the mechanisms by which we are able to reduce the cost to the consumer. If we were at 35mm there would either be fewer minis or a much higher price point.

25mm also makes a mass action game more manageable. Smaller figures means more models on a standard table – if we were at 35mm, the unit trays would have to be almost half again as big just to account for the figure size, and an army of 100 figures would be very difficult to fit on a table.

With regards to the games "compatability" with other systems: We designed Arcane Legions to be a game first and foremost - not a hobby. We are not looking to convert existing miniature players. We are looking to increase the miniature player base by producing a product and play experience that is more suitable to the masses addressing costs, ease of play, and time commitments. Although some miniature players will play simply because it’s miniatures, the bulk of our player base is anticipated to be casual, all around, hobby gamers. Arcane Legions is a great playing game. It’s easy to learn but has all the depth of strategy required by the most sophisticated gamers.

There are a lot of answered questions on our Facebook page as well if you care to check that out : Arcane Legions | Facebook

I hope this addresses some of your concerns.

If anyone is interested, we are looking for volunteers to help run demo games at GenCon. You could get yourself a free admission badge and some product for helping out. E-mail me at mark@wells-expeditions.com for more info.

Thanks for your interest,
Mark

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads