• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Power- Wizards Stretched Thin

exile

First Post
So, I picked up a copy of Arcane Power yesterday. I was very excited to see what kinds of goodies it contained for my dwarven wizardess. I was distressed to see that most of the feats for wizards had fairly high ability score prerequisites. While most can be met, it sure puts a strain on a character that you also want to take sorcerer multiclass feats with (the new one of which also has fairly tough ability score prerequisites). Discuss.

Lizard

Explorer
Having not looked at the feats, I'm not sure, but might it be that WOTC wants people to get away from "2 18s, 4 8s" in chargen? (OTOH, if the prereq is Intelligence, I have no clue as to motive.)

exile

First Post
The one that irked me the most was 'Wizard Implement Expertise' which lets you crit with an implement power on a 19-20. It required a 21 INT, 15 DEX, 15CON if I am not mistaken. The 15 DEX requirement sucks if you'd planned on making a staff/orb wizard.

Most of teh other feats alone aren't so bad, just bad when you couple them with a desire to take the new sorcerer multiclass feat which requires a 13 STR and 13 CHA.

Chad

Badwe

First Post
Well, you’ve got a main class: int/wis/dex/con (in order of importance) and you want to get into a subclass, cha/str/dex. You overlap on one minor stat and your plusses are to wis and con. There’s only so much new feats can do for you. Don’t forget, all those sorcerer powers you’re multiclassing into need CHA in order to actually hit, so if you’re just rolling in with a 13… you won’t be hitting much. As for the implement feat, dex is associated with the wand implement which is the implement of accuracy, so this feat sounds on-theme to me.

Klaus

First Post
Having not looked at the feats, I'm not sure, but might it be that WOTC wants people to get away from "2 18s, 4 8s" in chargen? (OTOH, if the prereq is Intelligence, I have no clue as to motive.)
Impossible by 4e point-buy rules, which allow for only 1 stat to be below 10.

Taking into account the auto-bumps at 11th and 21st, the feat mentioned by the OP would translate into needing a starting Int of 19 plus Dex and Con of 13. For every point below that, you need to devote one 4th level bump to those stats. If you start with 18 Int, 11 Dex and 12 Con, you can bump Int and Con at 4th, then bump Int and Dex at 8th and 14th, then devote the other bumps to Int and Wis.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Tell me more about Arcane Power!

What stands out, what grabs your attention, what do you *definitely* want to retrain for your wizard?

Cadfan

First Post
My group exclusively uses the standard array.

That means that feat prereqs like these are mostly non issues for us. If you start with a base 16 (before racial modifiers) in intelligence, 14 in your implement ability score, 13 in something else you care about for feats, and a 12 in whatever's left you might possibly care about some day for feats, then by paragon tier you have at least a 13 in all of them. By epic tier you have at least a 15 in two scores other than intelligence.

chaotix42

First Post
The illusion spells! There's one where you trap a group of enemies in an illusion of the world being destroyed (Visions of Ruin) - they cannot willingly move out of the AoE and do not have line of sight to anything outside. Even on a miss they're trapped there until the end of your next turn. Anyone forced to move out takes psychic damage and the effect ends for them.

Rechan

Adventurer
The illusion spells! There's one where you trap a group of enemies in an illusion of the world being destroyed (Visions of Ruin) - they cannot willingly move out of the AoE and do not have line of sight to anything outside. Even on a miss they're trapped there until the end of your next turn. Anyone forced to move out takes psychic damage and the effect ends for them.
That is sweet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads