D&D 5E Archetypes Still Missing?

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm hoping the Runecrafter from the latest UA might finally net us an official rune magic option.
In my mind I'm kinda thinking of something like Earthdawn (or a bunch of video games). Where the mage combines various runes to create a desired magical effect. years ago I did a homebrew style of that magic, so I'm thinking of something more like this (you should be able to get what I'm getting at by this example):

1657505931444.png

1657506007912.png

jgsugden

Legend
  • Psion - This could be several classes, but it is essentially the psychic PC that is primarily a spellcaster. Their power must come from within themselves.
  • Psychic Warrior - The psychic PC that is a gish. Their power must come from within themselves.
  • Non-magical Artificer (Science Based)
  • Skald (1/3 bard, 1/3 barbarian, 1/3 cleric) - You can do it with multiclassing, but it could be a subclass or entire class
  • Two Weapon Barbarian (Dexterity is significant to them)
  • Several Cleric Domains: Love (Yes, tricky to make love and not lust/slavery), Vengeance, Hope, etc...
  • Historical Druids - "legal authorities, adjudicators, lorekeepers, medical professionals and political advisors" ... the thinking man's druid, if you will. I often have sects of druids that serve the leaders of realms as their advisors, and I wish I had a druid subclass that focused on their intelligence, wisdom and charisma equally.
  • Daggermaster - A character that was fearsome because they used small blades, rather than in spite of it.
  • Spearmaster - A character that is fearsome because they use spear and shield, not in spite of it.
  • Avenger - A paladin option would suffice: Lose armor proficiencies, gain unarmored defense (charisma and dex = AC), stealth skill becomes a class skill.
  • Fierce Ranger - None of the Ranger subclasses evoke the idea of a fierce warrior. You can do it by mixing in barbarian, but I believe there is a gap for a warrior ranger that is fierce and intimidating in battle that would not just be a barbarian.
  • Infernal and Abyssal Sorcerers - The Blood of Demons and Devils is a trope that is unused. Yes, you can do a warlock, but there is a huge difference between blood and pact.
  • Undead Sorcerer - Not shadow Magic - Undead. The Vryloka of 4E are an idea for this concept. Like a take on the Marvel Character Blade, you're born with necrotic energy infused into you, making you part undead without a specific shadowyness to you.
  • Fey Sorcerer - You have the blood of the Fey in you, giving you ties to the Feywild.
  • Elemental Sorcerer - You're infused with the 4 Elements themselves.
  • Monstrous Sorcerer - Your ancestry includes taints from a monstrosity that grant you powers related to the creature. There are a huge number of interesting options here. Doppelganger, Medusa, Harpy, Manticore, Yuan-ti, Yeti ....
  • Rune/Giant Sorcerer - There is fertile ground here for a rune based sorcerer that powers runes with their giant blood or giant curse.
  • Cursed Sorcerer - The powers are the result of a curse on your bloodline. They may have come from an artifact, a mummy lord, or some other source. You have power, but curses - similar to the challenges of lycanthropes.
  • Primordial Warlocks - The 'Long Lost' or 'Imprisoned' Elemental Themed being that offers power to the warlock in exchange for the warlock working to free them from their prison / bring them back / etc...
  • The 'Support' Wizard - In 5E, concentration limits how well a wizard can support their allies. In older editions, a wizard might drop several protective spells on their allies to aid in battle. This 'support role' is missing from 5E. Concentration prevents it, making wizards feel less connected to the group. This is one of the things I do not like about 5E, and is a reason why I make homebrew spells that allow a wizard to support their allies with duration spells that help them in combat - without using concentration. However, I also built a subclass that allows wizards to concentrate on multiple spells so long as those spells only target allies. I think that is a gap that I'd like see filled officially.

MGibster

Legend
Historical Druids - "legal authorities, adjudicators, lorekeepers, medical professionals and political advisors" ... the thinking man's druid, if you will. I often have sects of druids that serve the leaders of realms as their advisors, and I wish I had a druid subclass that focused on their intelligence, wisdom and charisma equally.
That sounds a lot like a Bard.

Remove ads