D&D 5E Archetypes Still Missing?

JEB

Legend
  • Two Weapon Barbarian (Dexterity is significant to them)
Yeah, maybe combining "fast/agile barbarian" with "two-weapon barbarian" would provide enough mechanical heft to interest Wizards in trying. (It's occurring to me that when they claim they covered all the major archetypes, they were probably thinking in terms of mechanics.)

• Avenger - A paladin option would suffice: Lose armor proficiencies, gain unarmored defense (charisma and dex = AC), stealth skill becomes a class skill.
Pretty sure Oath of Vengeance is meant to be the 5E version of the Avenger (since they list "avenger" as an alternate name, and there's a history of Avengers as variant paladins in older editions). Though what you describe could certainly be a thing under another name (vigilante?).

• Infernal and Abyssal Sorcerers - The Blood of Demons and Devils is a trope that is unused. Yes, you can do a warlock, but there is a huge difference between blood and pact.
  • Undead Sorcerer - Not shadow Magic - Undead. The Vryloka of 4E are an idea for this concept. Like a take on the Marvel Character Blade, you're born with necrotic energy infused into you, making you part undead without a specific shadowyness to you.
  • Fey Sorcerer - You have the blood of the Fey in you, giving you ties to the Feywild.
  • Elemental Sorcerer - You're infused with the 4 Elements themselves.
  • Monstrous Sorcerer - Your ancestry includes taints from a monstrosity that grant you powers related to the creature. There are a huge number of interesting options here. Doppelganger, Medusa, Harpy, Manticore, Yuan-ti, Yeti ....
Agreed, lots of untapped space for sorcerers of various monstrous bloodlines. Pathfinder had way more fun with this.

• Rune/Giant Sorcerer - There is fertile ground here for a rune based sorcerer that powers runes with their giant blood or giant curse.
They tried this in UA (Giant Soul), but it eventually got folded into Tasha's Rune Knight.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
UA did a Phoenix Sorcerer, a Stone Sorcerer, and a Sea Sorcerer, but they never made it to official status for whatever reason.
They actually just ran out of room in the books that they were tested for. They all tested high enough to pass IIRC.

As for me:

Plant Druids

And also something I recently realized:

The Monster-maker Wizard. Wizards are supposedly responsible for all kinds of creatures: Golems, undead, oozes, chimeric hybrids, etc. But there is no Wizard subclass dedicated to making your own monster for you to customize. Given the way new pet subclasses work, it should be trivial to port the rules into a Wizard School in order to create your own Dr. Frankenstein PC.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
- a.Bard.that.is.about.music How hard can it be? I know they wanted to prove that ''not every bard plays the lute'', but there is now so few things about music and performance in the class and its spells that it seems disconnected from the fluff.
the college of creation does this very well. Its abilities are all themed are all themed around music

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
First I've heard of that, have a source?
It was in a Jeremy Crawford interview about what got in XGtE. Probably a Dragon Talk.

Honestly I can't go digging through all those videos at the moment, but I can find other people who also recall hearing about it via a quick google search, so at least I'm not going crazy.

Hussar

Legend
Ducks in.

Warlord

Ducks out again.

Heh, okay that was tongue in cheek, but, a non-magical support character isn't a bad archetype. It's certainly a strong one from fiction anyway. Most of the pieces are already there. Just put it into one nice, neat package and I'll be happy.

Remove ads