Archlich - the Vecna killer

lukelightning

First Post
Here's how I would do it: Yeah, your archlich goes up next to Vecna, and becomes more and more powerful while Vecna gets weaker and weaker. Then *poof* Vecna is destroyed.

Then your hand falls off and your left eye pops out. Congratulations, you're the new Vecna... you've fulfilled your epic destiny, please hand over your character.

I would be totally jazzed if this happened to my character.

It looks good. I'm just wondering what it'll do to our party's soon-to-be Radiant Servant When we eventually reach Epic and I tell him that I'm going Archlich :lol:

I daresay he'll be aghast.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, as I said, the only place where the ED says "undead" is in the flavor text. So hopefully it means I could rule that they're not "Undead"-style undead, they're just fleshless.

I've been trying to convince our party's cleric of Kelemvor the very same thing about the "Undead Servitor" ritual for a couple of levels now. "But it doesn't say in the ritual's text that it's undead. It's only a NAME" :lol:

Here's how I would do it: Yeah, your archlich goes up next to Vecna, and becomes more and more powerful while Vecna gets weaker and weaker. Then *poof* Vecna is destroyed.

Then your hand falls off and your left eye pops out. Congratulations, you're the new Vecna... you've fulfilled your epic destiny, please hand over your character.

I would be totally jazzed if this happened to my character.

I daresay he'll be aghast.

GROOOOOAAAAAN!

Well it would be pretty tough for him to be agouled.

Like pretty much everyone has said, even if the ED did make you a real-deal "undead," you don't get healed by Vecna's aura. Even if he weren't a god and couldn't stop healing every undead creature within 500 feet, a reasonable DM should slap you for expecting the baddest bad guy in your campaign to heal you. This is a situation where the extra text to add "Vecna's healing ability doesn't work if he doesn't want it to work, and it only heals people he wants it to heal" isn't worth the ink when you can just let DMs follow the spirit of the ability. This ain't 3E.

On a less absolutist tone, I don't think it's fair that an aura dealing 5 points of radiant damage should deal 25 points to Vecna. This is a situation where they're expecting you to deal him 80 points of radiant and they want to give you a meaningful boost. I think it's perfectly okay to say that vulnerabilities never deal extra damage in excess of the original damage source. So, your radiant aura would deal 10 points against him.

Personally I don't see why the DM would need to cheat to screw the Archlich player. If Vecna wanted to keep his field up ( and the Archlich gets the undead trait ) it should heal him. Thems the breaks. If it was a field of radiant enegry that did 20 damage a round to Undead ( and again, the Archlich had the undead trait ) noone would say " We'd bette rnot count the Archlich undead randomly.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
They dont get it because if you read the fluff very early on they were not touched by Orcus etc so do not carry the taint of undeath. So your welcome to take that Archlich and stand next to Vecna if ya wish.

The Mastery Over Death feature says "Once per day, when you die, you can empower your undead form instead of dying." So regardless of what the fluff says, archlichs are undead and are Vecna's worst enemy. Don't forget a level 30 archlich is just one step away from being a god themselves.

Eldorian

First Post
It looks good. I'm just wondering what it'll do to our party's soon-to-be Radiant Servant When we eventually reach Epic and I tell him that I'm going Archlich :lol:

As long as he's not a servant of the Raven Queen, who would then be obliged to kill him for the hubris of cheating death.

Ryujin

Legend
As long as he's not a servant of the Raven Queen, who would then be obliged to kill him for the hubris of cheating death.

No, nothing like that. He's just a cleric of Kelemvor. You know, "Destroy undead, and oppose the use of necromancy" and all of that. My character never goes anywhere without a mask on, even around the party. That might hide the Michael Jackson nose for a little while :lol:

Remove ads