Are any companies continuing with 3.0 support ?

Melkor

Explorer
Does anyone know if:

1) It's possible to keep producing material for 3.0 according to the SRD.

2) Any companies have decided to continue supporting 3.0 with future supplements ?

I know that from a marketing perspective, it's probably not the best business move, I'm just wondering if anyone is doing it.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Melkor said:
Does anyone know if:

1) It's possible to keep producing material for 3.0 according to the SRD.
Yep. Even if it becomes a different rules engine, such as Spycraft (now being used for the upcoming Stargate SG-1 RPG).

Melkor said:
2) Any companies have decided to continue supporting 3.0 with future supplements ?
I don't know. It would be nice to stick to the 3e compliance for those who have yet to upgrade, or have decided NOT to upgrade until 4e. I prefer product that is backward-compatible (like playing Might & Magic XIII on my WinXP OS PC).

Melkor said:
I know that from a marketing perspective, it's probably not the best business move, I'm just wondering if anyone is doing it.
I beg to differ. If the original SRD is good enough for a product you are making, then go for it. AFAIK, currently there are more 3e owners than there are 3.5e owners.

Besides, you are only pushing sales of 3.5e, which some 3e owners like me have resisted thus far. :p

NeuroZombie

Explorer
IMHO, there are not that many differences for it to really matter whether 3.5 is backwards compatible. I do not intend to buy 3.5, as the SRD tells me all of the little changes needed for 3.5, many of which are not significant enough to have made a 3.5, and they are not enough to warrant shelling out $90 for the books.

I may be cheap, but I would rather buy all new material then books that are 75-80% material I already have

Melkor

Explorer
NeuroZombie said:
IMHO, there are not that many differences for it to really matter whether 3.5 is backwards compatible.

After spending hours going through 3.0 WoTC books that were not in the Conversion Guide, and third party books, the difference is pretty glaring. It takes a lot of time to convert the books over if you
want to do it accurately.

After several hours of conversion attempts, and a lot of debate over the 3.0 and 3.5 rulesets, my group has implemented a minimum of the 3.5 changes into our 3.0 games - 4 pages including spells, all of which require very little or no changes to current 3.0 products.

Ran

First Post
I don't own the 3.5 books and am not sure if or when I will buy them, but they surely are not THAT compatible, as CRs have a very different approach with the new spacing rules, also spells are a lot different and not to count on the damage reduction and new weapon size rules, 3.5 was meant to, but is nowhere backward compatible, adventures set in 3.0 are not usable on it and those made for it are surely not that adequate for 3.0.

As I see it every publisher should make their products usable by every D&D player, be it 3.0 or 3.5, that could be made with many ways, i can speak of two:

1. make stats for every creature twice, once for 3.0 and once for 3.5, of course that for those monsters that are very different in power on those two they would have either levels or advancement in one of them, but at least it can be done and is gonna be used by more people that it would otherwise.
  2. the monsters that are not adequate for the edition that is not the focus of the product could be changed for others that fit in its place, that would result in much more problems than the first choice, but would do the job too.

I would not like to see any company, including WotC leaving 3.0 completely behind, many people play it and it should be respected and supported for it.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ran said:
I would not like to see any company, including WotC leaving 3.0 completely behind, many people play it and it should be respected and supported for it.

I'm sorry, are we talking about 3.0, basic D&D, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons or AD&D 2nd edition, all of which still have many people playing it?

I'd like to think that there will be a few companies out there but as noted above, despite the strong fan base those games had (have), it's probably not going to happen.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yep not to mention the fact most companies that are in to make a profit, generally do not put out old stuff no matter WHAT others might like. Take Volkswagen. When's the last time you saw them put out an old style Bug? Or for that matter, what about GE? Should they go back to older filaments instead? No, they don't. That's the price and effect of progress.

Remove ads