D&D 5E Are Aura's burdensome?

Hardly, it trivializes caster opponents in the same way a +4 AC aura would other fights.

Rubbish. Even assuming the presence of a Paladin with +5 charisma, and everyone near him, all those PCs have 2/3 of thier saves running at around +5. Vs DCs of 13-19.

That is not 'triviallising' anything.

5E combat is such a joke anyways you may as well just hand out participation trophies after they roll initiative.

Thats your fault as the DM and not the games fault.

The paladin auras trivialize it even moreso, on an already overpowered class, which has good burst offense, great defense, AND a rock solid role in the social pillar.

Over 6-8 medium-hard encounters the Paladin is not overpowered.

In your games maybe, but you run less encounters per day which favors the Paladin.

You bet! Its called maintaining a semblance of a challenge.

Its a crap thing to do. Why bother rolling them in the first place?

Well, since I'm not running a MMO, I dont feel like having pointless trash fights to waste my or my players' time

Spoken like someone who doesnt understand the 5E CR and XP system.

Medium-hard encounters are not 'trash fights'.

Hey man, just throw 3 orcs, then 4 more orcs, then let them get an hour nap. Then 2 lizardmen, then an owlbear. Then we need to pause the adventure to shoehorn in another hour breather, because nothingsays organic pacing like a bunch of encounters designed to waste a piddly amount of resources interspaced with long ass rest periods.

Just change the length of rests. There are options for this in the DMG.

Boy am I glad we devoted our one day a month to play to grinding out fights where the party's victory is a foregone conclusion, that only serve to whittle down resources through attrition!

If it takes you a month to resolve six encounters, youre doing it wrong.

The recommended 6-8 encounters per day is absurd, boring, and requires blatant railroading and fiat to ensure with any measure of regularity. Its hands down the worst part of an otherwise great edition.

Stop thinking of it as 6-8 per day. Think of it as 6-8 per long rest. This can be a week if you desire, handwaved ever 6-8 or even a milestone.

Youre deviating from the core balancing mechanism of resource recovery in a game that is (at its heart) a resource management game, and then complaining when things dont balance correctly.

As long as you acknowledge that youre the one causing the problems its no big deal.

I again must ask: why is it bad that PCs are rarely damaged? Usually only that you recover too fast to mke every bit of damage meaningful. The best answer may be changing the rest mechanics to gritty instead of nerfing abilities that make fights easier because you allow them to be spammed over and over again.

Make it short rest an night's sleep. Long rest a whole day or 3 days of rest. This way you can have a lot of non deadly encounters but the pereception changes: every cast of a spell hurts. Every point of damage taken hurts. And more important, every little failed save hirts a lot, so it starts becoming a challenge because you have to think about when to use spells.
You could also just ignore the paladin dodging and move to another target with the disengage action. You can use area spells that do half damage on a save and use monsters that attack from the other side. Yes, such encounters may take a while to resolve, but they are fun.

So I've recently been wanting to play a Paladin when I told my GM this he sighed and asked me to be a different class. When I asked why he said that the paladins' auras make DM'ing remarkably more difficult and that my party should fail saves every once in a while. (not get the +3 to all saves when within 10 feet of me)2 Questions with this one. Are Paladins really that burdening on a campaign, and what could be a decent substitution for the Paladins aura?

Bardic Inspiration is a decent substitute for a Paladin aura. Instead of being spatially bounded, it is temporally bounded: 10 minutes (or one usage) instead of 10'.

And your DM is kind of missing the point. DMing doesn't get more difficult when the paladin is around--you should absolutely keep throwing banshees at the party just like you were going to do before, only this time the paladin gets to feel awesome because he (usually) prevents anyone from going down. A DM who tries to contrive ways to avoid letting PCs' abilities matter is doing it wrong.

Remove ads