D&D 4E Are humans balanced in 4e?

Why steer clear of the Tempest Fighter??

Because it generally is looking for more than two stats. A Tempest Fighter will want no lower than 15 Dex, and likely will invest some of its level up points in the stat unless you are going Pit Fighter and maxing Wisdom. Constitution and Wisdom are still important.

Victim

First Post
Humans are up there for tactical warlords, IMO. Action Surge helps to land big powers like Lead the Attack more than a STR bonus. You can live pretty well with just STR/INT (especially with AV Jagged weapons for crits). Martial Power does upgrade Eladrin significantly though.

Humans are up there for tactical warlords, IMO. Action Surge helps to land big powers like Lead the Attack more than a STR bonus. You can live pretty well with just STR/INT (especially with AV Jagged weapons for crits). Martial Power does upgrade Eladrin significantly though.

I'm not a fan of Human Warlords, as Warlords tend to take a lot of abuse and can't ignore Constitution for that reason. Also, you need either Constitution or Dexterity if you plan on taking any weapon feats.

In building a Tactical Warlord, my first chocies would be Eladrin, Genasi and Warforged.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Because it generally is looking for more than two stats. A Tempest Fighter will want no lower than 15 Dex, and likely will invest some of its level up points in the stat unless you are going Pit Fighter and maxing Wisdom. Constitution and Wisdom are still important.

Exactly. There's some pretty good feats with DEX pre-reqs, so you'll need that. Also, if you're going the light armor route to get extra damage, you'll need a high DEX mod. Lastly, every Fighter should have some points in CON or WIS to help out with either increased durability or better OA's (preferably a little in both). That's just a lot of stats to juggle for a human.

Additionally, Tempest Fighters and TWF Rangers only really use one At-Will 90% of the time, and that's Dual/Twin Strike. So with those builds, your third At-Will versatility doesn't help much. For any other Fighter though, you can pick the two that work best and then Brash Strike as your third, so they'll work out good.

Exactly. There's some pretty good feats with DEX pre-reqs, so you'll need that. Also, if you're going the light armor route to get extra damage, you'll need a high DEX mod. Lastly, every Fighter should have some points in CON or WIS to help out with either increased durability or better OA's (preferably a little in both). That's just a lot of stats to juggle for a human.

Additionally, Tempest Fighters and TWF Rangers only really use one At-Will 90% of the time, and that's Dual/Twin Strike. So with those builds, your third At-Will versatility doesn't help much. For any other Fighter though, you can pick the two that work best and then Brash Strike as your third, so they'll work out good.

Dex is also important in that the Double Sword and Double Flail are the most suitable weapons for a Tempest Fighter to an astounding degree. Tempest themed powers and the feats based on those weapons are both heavily based on Dexterity. You either have the choice of Dexterity being your secondary stat of choice, or beginning play with a 15 Dexterity(to get the 17 for Heavy Blade Mastery at Epic) and maximizing Wisdom for Pit Fighter and Marked Scourge if you want to do serious damage.

Tarrl

First Post
I have a human dual class fighter thief from the old game I was hoping to convert is why I asked. :)

I also should have mentioned that I will be starting him at 11th level and I was thinking of multiclassing with rogue!!!
Any thoughts are truly appreciated.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
That's doable. If you try it out, look in the first (free) Dragon magazines. One of them had an article that was about eladrin, but had a lot of dex based fighter powers and a paragon path for rogues. The PP may have required you to be an eladrin, but the powers didn't.

Though, depending on the original concept, you may be able to go straight rogue with perhaps a dash of another martial class and be a better fit than fighter/rogue. The names of the classes are the same, but they've changed quite a bit.

I have a human dual class fighter thief from the old game I was hoping to convert is why I asked. :)

I'd recommend using the Rogue class, the Brutal Scoundrel build. The 4E Rogue is a nasty fighter on his own. Get yourself a Rapier or Double Sword and go to town.

If you are thinking more in terms of the Fighter role and have Martial Power, the Tempest Fighter can also do this, though I prefer other races(especially Elves) to Humans for this.

Stalker0

Legend
I think it was the fact that humans were overpowered in 3e. I always played a human, that feat was too good, and I didn't like penalties to my stats.

The new human is solid but not overpowering in any way.

Remove ads