Pathfinder 1E Are people still playing Pathfinder 1e?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I’d keep 5es approach to magic items though I’d change the attuning rules to be more meaningful. Something along the lines of the PF2 playtest I think.
Oh, that was a good one. It gave Charisma extra meaning outside of primary for bards and sorcs. Folks hated it though in feedback.

Oh, that was a good one. It gave Charisma extra meaning outside of primary for bards and sorcs. Folks hated it though in feedback.
I think the hate stemmed from the radical departure from the Christmas tree effect of PF1s magic item system. When your used to very few limits having harsh one imposed can be a problematic.

I personally loved it. It reigned in the magic items. Forced meaningful choices. Made Charisma valuable for everyone.

Thomas Shey

Legend
I'm conflicted about that part; on one hand, I understand the desire to get away from magic items being a necessity--but lots of magic items is one of those things that is almost part of the subgenre D&D and its kin operate in in most people's minds, so I can see why it was a bridge too far.

Green Onceler

Explorer
Anyway, getting back to the actual topic of this thread, PF1 games ongoing.

Hollow's Last Hope was great. A simple little four hour scavenger hunt, but really fun to run and play through.

Next up, I'm thinking some classic Richard Pett. Either The Styes from Dungeon magazine or Carrion Hill.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Anyway, getting back to the actual topic of this thread, PF1 games ongoing.

Hollow's Last Hope was great. A simple little four hour scavenger hunt, but really fun to run and play through.

Next up, I'm thinking some classic Richard Pett. Either The Styes from Dungeon magazine or Carrion Hill.
If you really want to stretch out Carrion Hill I recommend you partner it with Wake of the Watcher. This is part four of an adventure path, but I always felt like it was more of a self contained adventure module. Of course, if you want to run Carrion Crown at some point, then you might not want to do this. Though, you could combine carrion hill into Carrion Crown too. That's a large commitment though.

Retreater

Legend
Coming in late to the most recent sub-conversation, regarding PF2 challenge level. I think I'm figured it out (or what works for my preferences, anyway).
You can do Severe (or even Extreme) encounters, so long as it's assembled with creatures that are 1-2 levels lower than the party, with maybe a couple creatures that are of the party's level. With that assortment, you have a dynamic battle that is somewhere between the PF2 "everyone has to be on their game 100% of the time" and 5e's "you can steamroll most fights on autopilot."

Thomas Shey

Legend
Coming in late to the most recent sub-conversation, regarding PF2 challenge level. I think I'm figured it out (or what works for my preferences, anyway).
You can do Severe (or even Extreme) encounters, so long as it's assembled with creatures that are 1-2 levels lower than the party, with maybe a couple creatures that are of the party's level. With that assortment, you have a dynamic battle that is somewhere between the PF2 "everyone has to be on their game 100% of the time" and 5e's "you can steamroll most fights on autopilot."

It certainly tends to address the issue some people have with a lot of boss battles. Mind you, I don't find the way PF2e handles boss battles unreasonable, but I'm not everyone.

Retreater

Legend
It certainly tends to address the issue some people have with a lot of boss battles. Mind you, I don't find the way PF2e handles boss battles unreasonable, but I'm not everyone.
I don't mind boss battles. I do have a problem with designing the majority of AP encounters as Boss Battles, and also not telegraphing those dangers.

Green Onceler

Explorer
If you really want to stretch out Carrion Hill I recommend you partner it with Wake of the Watcher.

Thanks. Good tip. I would have probably leapt at the opportunity to expand the module a year ago. However, recently, I've been finding the 32 page module the ideal game supplement. Short and sweet. I was very happy when The Dragon's Demand was released heralding the introduction of the 64 page module for PF - such an excellent mini-campaign. However, I am currently obsessed with the genre-hopping possibilities afforded by those early 32 page releases.

Remove ads