D&D 5E Are players always entitled to see their own rolls?

Lightfoot

Villager
Three questions:
1. If the roll does not determine the outcome, why let him roll in the first place?
2. Do you use this method if the rogue is of high level and the orc guard is of lower level (say a 4 level difference)?
3. Do you use this method with any other character skill, say swordfighting or baking? What I mean is that you can see if you hit your opponent or if the bread turns out ok. Why is the Stealth skill considered a layperson's skill, with which you can never besure of the result?

1. Some clarification when I said the roll does not determine the outcome. I meant that with 5E his stealth roll is not the same as the old hide in shadows. He makes his roll, but only to determine the threshold for the orc guard to roll against.

2. Right now the players just hit 5th level and I don't think I will continue doing so when there is a 4 or 5 level difference.

3. Swordfighting, opening a locked/stuck door, picking a lock? Not hidden rolls. Baking bread? Only if the character also owns a bakery and wants to run a business to see if he made a profit that month. Another clarification, anyone can hide only the thief tends to do so regularly as his skill gives him a better chance of success. I started masking the roll because the group started to automatically assuming that if he rolled a 14 for example, he always was hidden.

Last edited:

Gillywonka

First Post
There are many times when rolling in secret should be done. When a PC tries to spot hidden, find a trap, etc. Allow me to explain. If a PC doesnt detect a trap, it shouldnt be because they saw they missed the roll... they should have no idea except that, they couldnt find a trap. Let's take it one step further, say there is a trap. And the PCs are searching and they fumble. The DM tells them they are certain there is no trap. But the players saw it was a fumble, WTF, like they'll believe you now. However, if the DM rolls in secret and a fumble happens and they tell the PCs, there was certainly no trap detected... well, play on from there. In situations like this, it is totally called for.

Remove ads