D&D General Are the 5.5 (or whatever) classes/races/monsters/etc better than 5.0?

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I haven't kept up with all the released info. I have seen endless discussions about it, though.

The reason I ask is I see a lot of people say they won't switch or whatever which tells me that at some point they may be playing "lesser" characters in a 5.5 powered game. Sure it's compatible so yes you can play the weaker Ranger compared to the 5.5 Ranger (or whatever class), but would you really want to?

Or as a DM, sure you can use the old weaker Troll with the CR not updated for modern play but the 5.5 Troll is upgraded with a more accurate CR for making battle plans.

The only thing I really see carrying over will be the Adventure Books (with DMs upgrading things a bit monster wise)

I mean sure you can keep playing 5.0, assuming your group goes along with it. I still prefer AD&D but it's not easy to find a game IRL (I'm not a fan of online play) (I probably need to get over that).

I'm curious how many people will "stick to their guns" about not getting the new core. As someone who's been through this since 2E, I foresee a lot of those "only 5E" people giving in at some point.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
We don’t know for sure.

That said martials mostly seem to be buffed. Casters are more iffy. Moving subclasses back to level 3 probably hurts early power. But later it’s probably not an issue. Big question mark there is spell changes. Will have to wait and see there.

I dislike the early flavor loss for warlocks, clerics and sorcerers.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I haven't kept up with all the released info. I have seen endless discussions about it, though.

The reason I ask is I see a lot of people say they won't switch or whatever which tells me that at some point they may be playing "lesser" characters in a 5.5 powered game. Sure it's compatible so yes you can play the weaker Ranger compared to the 5.5 Ranger (or whatever class), but would you really want to?

Or as a DM, sure you can use the old weaker Troll with the CR not updated for modern play but the 5.5 Troll is upgraded with a more accurate CR for making battle plans.

The only thing I really see carrying over will be the Adventure Books (with DMs upgrading things a bit monster wise)

I mean sure you can keep playing 5.0, assuming your group goes along with it. I still prefer AD&D but it's not easy to find a game IRL (I'm not a fan of online play) (I probably need to get over that).

I'm curious how many people will "stick to their guns" about not getting the new core. As someone who's been through this since 2E, I foresee a lot of those "only 5E" people giving in at some point.
Too many unknowns. Too much of the iteration in the rules glossary was deck deckchair moving and even with what we did see changed was often super duper conservative change even before they announced that they were going to stop with the revolutionary changes. Stuff that might allow an opinion on your question is mostly missing entirely without even much on expected goals.

We already have plenty of "literally still just the same 5e but new race/class section.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I mean, I know we pretty much had this thread not very long ago, but I'll reiterate my (slightly controversial) stance.

The 2024 book is just another book. If Player A makes a 2014 paladin, and player B makes a 2024 paladin, I don't care in the slightest. If they care, they can work it out themselves. If you want to use 2014 spell version with 2024 class and Tasha's subclass, go right ahead.

Oofta

Legend
I mean, I know we pretty much had this thread not very long ago, but I'll reiterate my (slightly controversial) stance.

The 2024 book is just another book. If Player A makes a 2014 paladin, and player B makes a 2024 paladin, I don't care in the slightest. If they care, they can work it out themselves. If you want to use 2014 spell version with 2024 class and Tasha's subclass, go right ahead.

There might be a couple of feats (e.g. sharpshooter) I ask people to switch to. But other than that? We're already doing custom backgrounds and I give people a selection of feats from the playtest and a few others. Other than that? I agree, if you don't feel like switching over you don't have to.

You do know that 5E2024/5.5 (etc) has actually not been published yet? We don't actually know what the new classes will be like or the NPCs. We don't know if there will be power creep.
Sure, we can speculate based upon play test material and vapors. That would be useful...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
There might be a couple of feats (e.g. sharpshooter) I ask people to switch to. But other than that? We're already doing custom backgrounds and I give people a selection of feats from the playtest and a few others. Other than that? I agree, if you don't feel like switching over you don't have to.
Yea, I've already houseruled the "power attack" mechanism that drives sharpshooter (and GWM) into the base game.

I think the amount of house rules and variation you allow into your game has a major impact on how you view these revisions. There are lot of people who are "official only" for whom these changes count as a major impact. For those of us with a wide amount of house rules and outside material already in their game, these changes are just a small drop in a big bucket.

Last edited:

Remove ads